Joshua Pyram, High School Senior/Mayor of Midwood High School & UNSL Representative
- What do you consider to be the most important characteristics of an exceptional leader? The most important characteristics of leadership are patience, optimism and the ability to share and express one’s vision with others. It’s important for adults to lead youth by example– show us what it means to be a leader by being responsible and sharing a vision.
- What makes you a leader? Tell us about one or two personal or professional experiences that have shaped you as a leader.
An experience that shaped me as a leader was a moment when I experienced self-doubt. I became Acting Director for School Performance and didn’t realize the importance of stepping up to the plate–my inattention to this resulted in a less than ideal outcome. From this experience, I learned how important it is to step up and be a leader.
- Who are the leaders in your life and what have you learned from them?
Leaders in my life are my counselor Troy Sealey, my Coordinator of Student Activities (COSA) Marcia Kaufman and my UNSL advisor Jodi Siegel. I learned different things from each of them–mainly the importance of being assertive, open-minded, and empathetic.
- What is unique about leading in New York City?
Leading in New York City is unique because everything we do has a direct impact on the future of the City and the world. Where good leadership is present, a good foundation for students and all children is present.
- Is there anything else you would like to share with us about yourself or leadership?
Being a leader has greatly impacted not only my life but also the way I think. I appreciate the places I’ve been and the leaders I have met--both have aided in honing my own leadership skills.