The New York City Department of Education believes in its talent: the teachers, assistant principals, principals, and district/field staff who work with our city’s 1.1 million students. We believe that an investment in your leadership development today will benefit our children’s futures tomorrow. Our mission is to build and sustain a leadership pipeline that yields high-quality leaders at all levels- including, teacher leaders, assistant principals, principals, and system-level leaders.
We offer a variety of leadership development opportunities for your career advancement; learn more about the opportunities available to you.
I want to be a teacher leader
- New Teacher Mentoring: is for experienced teachers to mentor a new teacher in their building for 10 months while remaining in their school; you can talk with your principal about being a new teacher mentor.
- Teacher Leadership Program: is for a team of teachers nominated by their principal; as a selected teacher you learn how to lead other adults and teacher teams in your school building.
I want to be an assistant principal
- Wallace Leadership Fellows Program: is for teachers who are enrolled in NYCDOE partner universities and is a support program designed to enhance the internship experience; if you are enrolled or planning to enroll in a university to receive your New York State School Building Leader License this program is right for you.
- Leaders in Education Apprenticeship Program: is for experienced teacher leaders who want to become assistant principals and eventually principals; you will learn the skills necessary to become a school leader in New York City and undergo the required Principal Candidate Pool series.
I want to be a principal
- Leaders in Education Apprenticeship Program: is for assistant principals who want to become principals; you will learn the skills necessary to become a school leader in New York City and undergo the required Principal Candidate Pool series.
- Assistant Principal Leadership Institute: is for high performing assistant principals who want to become principals in the next 1-3 years. In APLI you will learn discrete skills to become a principal in New York City and undergo the required Principal Candidate Pool series.
- Principal Candidate Pool: is the required three-component series that includes professional learning and performance assessments aligned to the expectations for NYC principals; it needs to be completed if you are interested in becoming a principal in New York City.
- Early Career Support for New Principals: first-year principals are provided with a variety of on-the-job supports including a one-on-one coach, summer institute, and conferences.
Frequently Asked Questions
Am I eligible for these programs if I do not work for the New York City Department of Education?
Unfortunately, no. All leadership development programs are only available to current NYCDOE employees.
How do I learn more?
We will be holding open houses for each program in early 2018. You can join our mailing list to receive up-to-date information about open houses.
How do I apply?
You will apply for each program through the Leadership Pathways Application Portal and it will open in January 2018. You can join our mailing list to receive updates about application timelines and tips on how you can prepare to apply for each program.
What are the benefits of completing one of these programs?
At the completion of your leadership program, not only will you be eligible for new positions– but you will also be privy to an alumni network of over 3,000 NYCDOE employees. We have an active alumni association where we focus on supporting our graduates and providing them with networking opportunities, job placement supports, and on-going professional learning.
Send us an email with your questions: firstname.lastname@example.org