The NYC Department of Education (DOE) and the NYC Administration for Children's Services (ACS) are committed to ensuring that all children leave our early childhood programs ready to success in kindergarten. To this end, DOE and ACS have collaboratively developed instructional expectations for Universal Prekindergarten (UPK) community-based programs. These expectations:
- Promote our citywide focus on school readiness;
- Build on the Common Core, authentic assessment, and program quality expectations that we have implemented over the past several years;
- Promote alignment with K-12 instructional expectations.
The 2013-2014 CBO Instructional Expectations reflect minimum instructional quality expectations. Programs are expected to meet or exceed these expectations in ways that address the unique needs of their students, families, staff, and stakeholders. The CBO Best Practices document is a compilation of best practices from UPK programs - both EarlyLearnNYC programs and direct-contract DOE programs - explaining how they implement the instructional expectations. For reference, you can review the 2012-2013 CBO Instructional Expectations.
School Readiness [top]
The NYC Department of Education (DOE) and the NYC Administration for Children's Services (ACS) are committed to ensuring that all children leave our early childhood programs and enter kindergarten ready to succeed. To this end, DOE and ACS worked with parents, community members, and university partners to develop citywide school readiness goals based on the Head Start Child Development and Early Learning Framework and the New York State Prekindergarten Foundation for the Common Core. These citywide school readiness goals represent a shared vision of the skills, knowledge, and approaches to learning that children need in order to enter kindergarten ready for school and on a path toward college and career readiness.
For additional information about our citywide approach to school readiness, please see:
- A joint memo from DOE and ACS explaining our approach to school readiness
- Guidance for CBOs about how to adopt and implement school readiness goals and strategies
- A document that maps our citywide school readiness goals to indicators on each approved authentic assessment tool (Work Sampling System, Teaching Strategies GOLD, High Scope Child Observation Record)