Find a Pre-K for Your Child
You can searchfor pre-k programs near you by using this Search tool. This now includesNew York City Early Education Centers (NYCCEECs) as well as public schools offering pre-k.
Get more information about enrolling your child in NYCCEEC programs on the Choices and Enrollment Pre-K page.
Selecting a Pre-K Program
Use these questions when you visit or speak with NYCCEEC administrators or teachers. It is important that you find a program that is a good fit with your family.
Program Hours and Services
- Where is the program located and is it easily accessible?
- What are the pre-k program hours?
- Are there other services offered outside of the pre-kindergarten hours?
- What are the eligibility requirements for those other services?
- Are tours available to see the program facility?
- What does a typical day look like for the children?
- Does the schedule include a balance of choice time, small group teacher-directed time and whole class activities?
- Is there time set aside for physical activity? Is there indoor or outdoor space for physical activity?
Expectations for Learning
- At the end of the school year, what does the program expect the children to know and be able to do?
- How do teachers know how children are doing throughout the year? What assessments are used to track children's progress?
- How does the program share children's progress with families?
- Is the staff warm and welcoming?
- What opportunities are there for families to participate in the program? Are there leadership opportunities? Volunteer opportunities?
- How does the program extend learning to/from the home? What support will be provided to extend learning?
- What other supports does the program provide to families?