As part of the mandated New York City DOE HIV/AIDS Prevention Program, high schools are required to provide Health Resource Rooms where free condoms, health information, and health referrals are made available to students in grades 9-12 by trained staff.
Parents and legal guardians may exempt their children from receiving condoms. However, all students may receive information and referrals to health services.
Health Resource Room (HRR)/CAP requirements:
- Each school must have at least one trained male and one trained female staff. Click here to see the training schedule.
- Parent opt-out letters (see below) must be provided to parents of all new students upon enrollment.
- A list of all students opted-out must be available to all CAP staff. Use student ID numbers only; do not use names.
- CAP must be available for at least ten periods a week for the duration of the school year.
- CAP schedule and locations must be clearly advertised for all students via the student letter and posters.
To order condoms for your CAP, email CAP2@schools.nyc.gov from a DOE or DOH email address with “Condom Order” in the subject line and we will send you ordering information.
Parent opt-out letter
English | Arabic | Bengali | Chinese | Haitian Creole | Korean | Russian | Spanish | Urdu