Join the charge to get all elementary school classrooms moving! For the 2014-15 school year, free Move-to-Improve
(MTI) professional development sessions are available to K-5 classroom teachers throughout the City. Teachers, Sign Up Today
to view the Fall 2014 schedule and access registration information.
- Refer 15 new K-5 teachers (from any non-charter public school) to join us at an upcoming MTI training and we’ll give you an MTI Champion T-shirt, recognizing you as a Citywide leader to get students moving in the classroom.
- To set up a workshop at your school, email us or call 718-391-8181.
Become an MTI All-Star School
Train 85% of your K-5 teachers and lead the way in school wellness. The next 50 schools to become MTI All-Stars will receive a free equipment kit to support their PE program. Click here to see which schools already Move-to-Improve, or if you'd like to schedule a training at your school, email MTI@schools.nyc.gov.
Share Your MTI Experiences
If you've already been trained in MTI, we want to hear from you. Call 718-391-8181 or email and let us know about your MTI experiences.
What is Move-to-Improve?
MTI is a classroom based physical activity program designed by the New York City Department of Education (DOE) and the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH) to increase physical activity among students, K-5, in elementary school. For a fact sheet on the MTI program to share with administrators and school staff, click here.
MTI provides elementary school teachers with the tools to incorporate brief, structured activities into the classrooms. These MTI activities blend academics and physical activity into educational lessons that are aligned to New York State Physical Education Learning Standards. MTI is a great way to supplement a school's existing physical education program and help schools meet the New York State Education Department mandate of 120 minutes of physical education per week. Additionally, MTI activities integrate Common Core Learning Standards (CCLS), giving teachers an identifiable way to incorporate active learning in their classrooms.
All NYC non-charter public schools with classroom teachers serving grades K-5 are eligible to participate in MTI, and receive:
- A free 3-hour professional development workshop (for teachers), usually offered to K-3 and 4-5 teachers separately.
- An MTI Activity Guide including examples of CCLS academic integrations.
- Visual Aid Cards.
- Music CDs.
- Professional development stipend (UFT training rate; no cost to schools) for participating teachers.
Click on the links below here to preview:
To receive information on MTI trainings and events, as well as other wellness related news and opportunities, sign up for the School Wellness Weekly by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with "subscribe" in the subject line.