Join the charge to get all elementary school classrooms moving! For the 2014-15 school year, free Move-to-Improve (MTI) professional development sessions are available to K-5 classroom teachers citywide.
Teachers, Sign Up Today
- Click here to view the Fall 2014 schedule and access registration information.
- Refer 15 new K-5 teachers (from any non-charter public school) to join us at an upcoming MTI training and we’ll give you an MTI Champion T-shirt, recognizing you as a Citywide leader to get students moving in the classroom.
What is Move-to-Improve?
MTI is a classroom based physical activity program designed by the New York City Department of Education (DOE) and the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH) to increase physical activity among students, K-5, in elementary school. For a fact sheet on the MTI program to share with administrators and school staff, click here.
MTI provides elementary school teachers with the tools to create and support an active learning environment in the classroom and school community. MTI activities blend academics and physical activity into educational lessons that are aligned to New York State PE Learning Standards and are integrated with Common Core Learning Standards.
All NYC non-charter public schools with classroom teachers serving grades K-5 are eligible to participate in MTI
Participating K-5 teachers receive:
- A free 3-hour professional development workshop, usually offered to K-3 and 4-5 teachers separately.
- An MTI Activity Guide including examples of CCLS academic integrations.
- Visual Aid Cards.
- Music CDs.
- Professional development stipend (UFT training rate; no cost to schools) for after school trainings.
How can MTI help my school meet Physical Education (PE) requirements?
New York State requires all elementary schools to provide at least 120 minutes of PE every week for all students. MTI All-Star schools can use MTI activities during classroom instructional time to supplement their existing PE program to meet this requirement.
Become an MTI All-Star School
Schools with a comprehensive PE program, led by a certified or designated PE teacher, have the opportunity to become an MTI All-Star school by training at least 85% of their eligible teachers in MTI. MTI All-Star schools receive:
- PE equipment kit valued at $500 (for a limited time).
- Direct support with tracking and implementation.
- Citywide recognition of MTI best practices.
Schools interested in becoming an MTI All-Star should email MTI@schools.nyc.gov or call 718-391-8181 to schedule onsite trainings. Click here to see which schools already Move-to-Improve.
Move-to-Improve Program Materials
Click on the links below to preview:
To receive information on MTI trainings and events, as well as other wellness related news and opportunities, subscribe to the School Wellness Weekly by signing up here.