STEM Summer in the City, a free, five week for current 2nd - 10th graders that is engaging and a fun summer program designed around STEM - science, technology, engineering and math.
In addition to weekly STEM challenges, involving coding & game design, developing engineering solutions and inventing with robotics, the program also includes enrichment opportunities in the Arts, Physical Education and includes trips to NYC cultural institutions.
- Students are accepted into this program via a lottery
- Program runs from July 5, 2018 to August 09, 2018
- Monday through Thursdays from 8:30AM - 2: 30PM
- Breakfast and lunch are included
- Free transportation is provided, depending on students’ grade level and the distance between their residence and school. Learn more about student transportation services.
STEM Summer in the City takes place in 11 locations across the city. To learn more about these locations, click on the school names below.
Elementary School Sites
Bronx: Fairmont Neighborhood School
Brooklyn: P.S. 006 Norma Adams Clemons Academy
Manhattan: P.S. 036, Margaret Douglas
Queens: P.S. 182 Samantha Smith
Queens/Far Rockaway: P.S. 183 Dr. Richard R Green (2-5)
Staten Island: P.S. 069 Daniel D. Tompkins
Middle and High School Sites
Bronx: M.S. 390
Brooklyn: I.S. 096 Seth Low
Manhattan: Art and Design High School
Queens: Thomas A. Edison Career and Technical Education High School
Queens/Far Rockaway: P.S./M.S. 183 Dr. Richard R Green (6-8)
Staten Island: Ralph R. McKee Career and Technical Education High School
Applications will open on March 16, 2018
Please select your application from the options below. If you have only one child that you are applying for, select the application that matches your child’s current grade (e.g. if a student is in 5th grade, choose the Elementary School application; if your child is currently in 8th grade, select the Middle School application). If you have more than one child applying for STEM Summer in the City, use the link Sibling Application.
When completing the application, you will need your child’s OSIS number and you must select the school your child attends from the list of options presented. Only students from these schools are able to apply at this time.
STEM Summer in the City 2018 Applications
Applications will close on April 27, 2018
More about the applications
- Selection will be done via a lottery. Besides being in the specific grades for this program, students should have at least 90% attendance during the school year and not be required to attend summer school. It is expected that if you apply to this program, you and your child are committing to attending the full five weeks over the summer.
- Parents will be notified of acceptance into STEM Summer in the City via email during the week of May 21, 2018 and be asked to accept the seat and to provide additional information. If a child is accepted into this program and is then required to attend summer school, they will not be able to attend this Summer Academy program. Parents will be notified by their child's school if they are required to attend summer school and we will also notify you in early June if we need to retract the seat. Any seat not accepted will move to the next student on the wait list. Parents will be provided with a wait list number if they are not initially accepted in the lottery process.
- Support for the online application process can be available by contacting your parent coordinator. Use the school search to find the name and contact information for the parent coordinator at your child's school. Please note, we are not accepting paper applications for this program.
There are a number of enrichment programs for your children this summer. Learn about more these programs by clicking on Summer Academy programs.
Sign up for Summer in the City email alerts.
All questions about this program should be directed to SummerSTEM@schools.nyc.gov (please do not contact the host schools)