Getting help


Getting Help


The Division of Specialized Instruction and Student Support (DSISS)

The Division of Specialized Instruction and Student Support (DSISS) helps city schools effectively meet the needs of students with disabilities. The special education services offered in schools include interventions and services in the general education classroom as well as more intensive supports provided in both community schools, specialized programs, and District 75. If your child is not receiving the support you believe he/she should, you can get help from:

Your Child's School:

Individual public schools are responsible for evaluating any of their students who have been identified as possibly having a disabilitity and for arranging recommended special education services and programs. If you have a concern, talk to the staff at your child's school who know your child best and can provide assistance.

  • Classroom Teachers
  • Special Education Teachers (sometimes called SETSS providers or IEP Teachers)
  • Guidance Counselor, Social Worker or School Psychologist
  • Related Service Providers and Paraprofessionals
  • Parent Coordinator
  • School Principal and/or Assistant Principal

Your Child's Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE) or Committee on Special Education (CSE):

  • The CPSE coorindates special education evaluations and services for children ages 3-5.
  • The CSE manage evaluations for students attending charter schools and non-public schools (private and parochial). 

Next Steps:

When you have worked with school, CSE, or CPSE staff and the situation is still unresolved, here are some next steps:

Learn More by Reading: