Transfer Policies

Transfer Policies

Transfer Policies

The DOE's enrollment and transfer policies are defined in section A-101 of the Chancellor's Regulations. Following are some points of particular interest to families of students with disabilities:

  • When a student with disabilities has a change in the program recommended on his or her IEP, she or he is entitled to remain in the current school and to get the needed services there.
  • If an elementary or middle school student with disabilities is going to a school outside his or her District and that school can't provide the needed services, the student has a right to an available place in another school in that district.

In general, the DOE grants transfers only in the case of certain "hardships." For elementary and middle school students, the circumstances that may enable a child to transfer schools are:

  • Childcare hardship: For elementary school students, when the child's current school is too far away from the parent's workplace or the location where childcare is provided. 
  • A sibling enrolled in a different school
  • Medical issues: when a change in schools would address the issue
  • Safety issues: when there is a documented danger to the child in the school. (See Chancellor's Regulation A-449 for details)

The transfer rules may differ when the student:

  • Is in high school
  • Is in a District 75 or 79 school
  • Doesn't have a zoned school
  • Has been suspended

In any case, schools are required to meet with families to review transfer requests.