Additional Programs & Services



Requests for Specialized Transportation 

Accommodations require current medical documentation from a physician that clearly states what your child’s medical condition is and why he or she requires the accommodation.

For example, if you request

a limited bus run or an air-conditioned bus, the request must include a description of your child’s medical condition and an explanation of why he or she requires that kind of service. Your child’s doctor must provide this documentation on an annual basis during your child’s annual review or mandated three ­year evaluation in order for the accommodation to be approved.

All recommendations for limited­

time travel, individual transportation paraprofessionals, nurses, and medically related accommodations will be reviewed by a doctor. Based on the review, the doctor will make a recommendation to the IEP Team prior to the IEP Team meeting. The doctor may recommend alterations to the original medical recommendation.

If the IEP Team determines that your child requires Specialized Transportation, the type of accommod­ation(s) required must be added to his or her IEP.

If your child is recommended for special education services, he or she may also be entitled to transportation to and from your home to the school.

If your child is recommended for special education services in your neighborhood school, he or she may be able to walk to school. Depending on the distance of the school from your home, your child may be recommended for general education yellow bus service (i.e., stop-to-stop) or to receive a New York City MetroCard for use on public transportation. If they are able, junior high school and high school students with disabilities receiving special education services are generally expected to use public transportation.

All recommendations for specialized transportation

(i.e., door-to-door) are determined by the IEP Team. Children with limited mobility, physical/orthopedic disabilities and other health impairments generally require door-to-door busing. If your child requires door-to-door transportation, this will be indicated in his or her IEP. Bus service is arranged as quickly as possible, but generally in no more than five days. You will be notified in writing by the Office of Pupil Transportation (OPT) of the date that bus service will begin. If you do not receive information from OPT, call the hotline at 718­392­8855 for assistance.

If the Department is unable to

arrange for bus service to the recommended school in a timely manner from the date of consent, alternative transportation arrangements may be made to enable your child to get to and from school. If this situation occurs, you will receive a letter and a travel reimbursement form.