Tell me more about...

Transitioning to Kindergarten: Information for Families of Students with Disabilities

Transitioning to Kindergarten

Moving from preschool to kindergarten marks an exciting new chapter in your child's life! We know that you may have questions about the process and about New York City's public schools. Families of students with disabilities entering kindergarten in the fall of 2016 can find information in the Orientation Guide. It includes details about the two processes your child will participate in: applying to kindergarten and developing a kindergarten Individualized Education Program (IEP).

Kindergarten:An Orientation Guide for Families of Students with Disabilities Entering Kindergarten in Fall, 2016

العربية |বাংলা | 中文| English | Français | Kreyòl Ayisyen | 한국어 | Русский | Español | اردو

Notices to Parents or Guardians

Getting Help

In the winter or spring, families of preschoolers who receive or may receive special education services will be contacted by a representative of the Department of Education from an elementary school or one of our ten Committees on Special Education (CSEs). This representative will assist you with the transition to school-age special education services and should be the first person you contact with questions or concerns.

If you experience a problem that cannot be resolved by your Department of Education representative or CSE, you may ask for additional assistance by calling the special education hotline at (718) 935-2007 or emailing Please include:
  • your child's name
  • your child’s date of birth
  • the name and number of the school or CSE that sent you information/conducted the IEP meeting
  • a brief description of your concern.

Has Your Address Changed?

If you have moved, please let us know as soon as possible by writing or calling the Committee on Preschool Special Education.

Medical Forms

If your child has a medical condition or an orthopedic disability, and you would like the Department of Education to consider special education bus service and/or other transportation accommodations based on needs related to that condition or disability, you will need to provide documentation from your child's doctor. Please give both of these forms to the Department of Education representative working on your child's transition well before your child's kindergarten IEP meeting. If your child has a medical condition and you would like the DOE to consider school nurse services or other services or accommodations related to the condition, please have applicable forms in this packet completed and signed by your child's doctor and provide them to your DOE representative in advance of the IEP meeting.

Parents' or Guardians' Rights

For information about the rights of parents or guardians of children with disabilities, ages 3-21, see the Statement of Families' Rights on the important documents page.

More Information