Institutional Review Board
The New York City public school system, the largest in the nation, has much to offer educational researchers. We allow outside researchers to conduct studies within our system while insuring that any research does not compromise the privacy of our students and parents, or disrupt the work of students, teachers, and administrators.
Proposals to conduct research or evaluations in our schools are reviewed by the New York City Department of Education Institutional Review Board (IRB). If you are planning to submit a proposal, here are some FAQ's for Researchers. If you are a school administrator, here are some FAQ's for Principals.
The IRB meets every month. Preliminary screening of proposals is conducted prior to the IRB meeting. The length of time required to review and approve a proposal depends primarily on the completeness of the proposal and the researcher’s prompt response to requests from IRB members for clarification and/or additional information. Complete proposals received by the submission deadline will be reviewed during the corresponding IRB meeting (posted below).
New York City Department of Education
Institutional Review Board Calendar
(5:00 PM EST)
|December 14, 2016||January 18, 2017|
|January 18, 2017||February 22, 2017|
|February 22, 2017||March 22, 2017|
|March 22, 2017||April 19, 2017|
|April 19, 2017||May 17, 2017|
|May 17, 2017||June 21, 2017|
All research proposals must be submitted through the NYCDOE's electronic submission platform, IRBManager. To log on to the system go to: https://login.irbmanager.com/ and follow the instructions for creating a password (click here).Questions about the IRB should be emailed to IRB@schools.nyc.gov.
If your research does not involve human subjects, and instead exclusively relies on the use of NYCDOE administrative data, you do not need to submit to the IRB. However, you must complete the data request process below.
If you are planning a research study or evaluation that will use NYCDOE student-level data, please read the following directions carefully.
All data requests must be submitted through the NYCDOE's Research and Policy Support Group (RPSG). School or DOE staff cannot provide data to external researchers. Additionally, research directly involving data collection in schools must first be approved by the IRB.
We strongly encourage researchers to first explore the school-level data already publicly available. This page contains links to data on graduation outcomes, Math and ELA tests, School Quality Reports, demographics, and the New York State Report Cards (which includes information on enrollment, attendance, suspensions, dropouts, teachers, etc.)
External data requests are reviewed regularly for approval and prioritization. Approval of requests are based on the completeness of the data request, expected educational value or benefit provided to the NYC education community as a result of the study, the availability and regulations governing access to data, and the amount of staff time and other NYCDOE resources required to execute the request. Processing times will vary depending on the complexity of the request, the volume of prior requests, and competing priorities.
The most recent data available is for the prior completed school year. Data for the most current school year will not be available until after the following fall.
Requesting data requires the completion of a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA), which will be emailed to the requester after the approval of their submission.
If you have any questions about the data request process, please read this FAQ. A list of datasets available to researchers can be found here. The format required for consent form verification can be found here.
Both requests to do research in schools and requests for administrative data require separate submissions to IRBManager. Please see below for instructions.
Registering a New IRB Manager Account
NOTE: If you already have an account and are unable to login, please do not create a new account. Instead, go to the IRBManager login page and click on ‘Forgot Password’ and enter your email address to receive a new password. If you are still unable to login, please send an email to support@IRBManager.com to receive help.
- Go to https://login.irbmanager.com
- Enter Username: newuser
- Enter Password: newuser
- Enter Client: NYCDOE
- Enter Type
- If you are a principal investigator, choose investigator
- If you are a coordinator who will be submitting for an investigator, choose coordinator. NOTE – The Principal Investigator will need to register him/herself using this same process before you submit the new Submission Form.
- Please answer all pertinent questions.
Submitting a New Data Request Proposal to NYCDOE RPSG For Review
- When asked for a username, use the email address from your login process.
- Once you’ve logged into the homepage, click on your Settings in the upper right. Once in that section, enter your address and phone number information.
NOTE – If this information is not completed, your submission will not be reviewed until it is finished.
- If you’d like to see what the full Submission Form looks like, including all questions, and potential values for dropdown type questions, click ‘Start xForm’ under actions in the upper left. Click on the printer icon next to the `Data Requests’ Submission Form. This will give you a view of the form that you can print.
- When you’re ready to start entering information, choose the blue link for the ‘Data Requests’ Submission Form.
- Enter your study information.
- Once you’ve completed and submitted the form, NYCDOE personnel will begin the review process.