Currently Employed Substitutes
Click to log into SubCentral, and to access the following resources for SubCentral users:
SubCentral 2.0 Instructions for Substitute Paraprofessionals
SubCentral Quick Reference Card
SubCentral Fact Sheet
Click to access the Substitute Paraprofessionals Handbook.
Substitute Paraprofessional Renewal Requirements for 2018-2019.
Substitute Paraprofessional Nominations are currently closed.
Responsibilities of the Substitute Paraprofessional
Substitute Paraprofessionals are contacted on an as-needed basis to cover absences reported by school-based full-time paraprofessionals. The role of the substitute paraprofessional is to assist teachers with class work and/or assist with the daily care of students with emotional, cognitive, physical handicaps, autism and other special needs. Their responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following tasks:
• One-on-one or small group instruction as outlined by the teacher
• Reinforcing behavior through the use of positive behavior support
• Teaching daily living skills such as independent feeding, dressing, toileting
• Aiding occupational therapists, physical therapists, speech therapists and adaptive physical education providers during instruction
• Guiding and assisting students in small group instruction settings with class routines and in transitioning from one activity to the next
• Teaching students, under direction of teacher in the following areas: recreation, motor, vocational, socialization and communication
• Assisting students with ambulation within the school premises and on class trips
• Lifting, feeding, toileting and diapering after receiving appropriate training
• Collecting data documenting student behavior for instructional purposes
• Writing anecdotal information concerning student behavior
• Providing language assistance for bilingual students
Pay Rate & Incentives
Substitute Paraprofessionals are paid at the contractual rate of $150.26 (as of May 2018), for the actual days worked; they do not receive any benefits.
• Substitute Paraprofessionals who complete 25 days of service and possess the New York State Teaching Assistant certificate are eligible for consideration for full-time Paraprofessional positions. Please note: Appointment to a fulltime position is based on each school's vacancies, personnel needs, budget, and other considerations, is competitive and NOT guaranteed.
• Substitute Paraprofessionals are represented by the United Federation of Teachers (UFT).
The minimum eligibility requirements to apply for a Substitute Paraprofessional position are the following:
• Online Nomination by a school Principal
• A high school diploma (or its recognized equivalent, e.g., GED). Please Note: IEP Diplomas are not equivalent to a High School Diplomas and therefore not acceptable for the substitute paraprofessional position.
• Proficiency in reading, writing and speaking the English language
• Authorization to work in the USA
The Hiring Process
Applications for the Substitute Paraprofessional position are only made available to individuals who have been nominated by a school principal, using our online process. Each school may nominate candidates for the position based upon the prevailing or projected vacancies (i.e., number, location, schedule, etc.) and the special requirements for some positions (e.g., gender, foreign language proficiency, lifting/toileting, CPR). If you are interested in becoming a Substitute Paraprofessional, contact the school(s) of your choice directly.
After a principal has completed the online nomination, an email will be sent to the nominee with instructions on accessing and completing the online application form for the Substitute Paraprofessional position. Once the nominee submits the application form, an email will be sent to the candidate listing the next steps, to be processed as a Substitute Paraprofessional in the New York City public schools.
In order to become a Substitute Paraprofessional, the candidate will be required to satisfy various requirements, at different stages, as listed below.
Stage I: Nomination
• Have a high school diploma or equivalent.
• Be proficient in reading, writing and speaking the English language.
• Have authorization to work in the USA.
• Obtain nomination from a school principal and subsequently complete application
Stage II: Assessment
Candidates meeting the requirements listed in Stage I will be invited to advance to Stage II. Those invited must complete the requirements listed below, within a specified time period.
• Demonstrate oral proficiency in the English language.
• Demonstrate proficiency in written English by responding to an assigned topic.
Any candidate who does not demonstrate English language proficiency will not be permitted to reapply for the position for 12 months from the date of assessment.
Stage III: Pre-Processing
Candidates meeting the criteria listed in Stage II will be emailed detailed instructions for Stage III, which requires completing the requirements listed below, within a specified time period.
• Complete NYCDOE’s mandatory Employment Forms online
• Be fingerprinted and photographed by the NYCDOE. As of July 1, 2016, there is a fee of $135 for this service. Candidates who have already been fingerprinted by the NYCDOE or have sent their fingerprint results to the New York State Education Department (NYSED) need not be re-fingerprinted. However, they are required to be photographed and must submit the appropriate forms.
• Successfully complete a NYSED approved workshop on Child Abuse Identification.
• Successfully complete a NYSED approved workshop on School Violence Prevention.
• Successfully complete a NYSED approved workshop on the Dignity for All Students Act (DASA).
• Successfully complete the New York State Assessment of Teaching Assistant Skills (NYSATAS) test or provide proof of registration for the test.
• Successfully complete the NYCDOE supported and authorized online training program for Paraprofessionals. There is no additional fee for this online training program. Information on this online training program will be disseminated at a later stage.
• Create an online profile with the New York State Education Department, Office of Teaching Initiatives. There is no additional fee for the online profile.
• Use the NYCDOE’s online portal to schedule a date for the Processing Event
Stage IV: Processing Event
Candidates meeting the requirements listed in Stage III will be invited to a processing event where they will:
• Submit documentation confirming the fulfillment of the requirements listed earlier.
• Submit a $50.00 money order payable to the NYC Department of Education
• Receive information on handling Blood Borne Pathogens, and SubCentral, the NYCDOE’s automated absence management system.
Stage V: Staffing
Subject to receiving clearance (fingerprint & appraisal of record) from the New York City Department of Education’s Office of Personnel Investigations, the nominee will be staffed as a Substitute Paraprofessional and approved to serve throughout the New York City Public Schools, for the current school year.
Stage VI: Continuation of Substitute Status
To continue substitute status for the next school year, the substitute is required to fulfill the renewal requirements, which are updated annually and can be accessed via the following link:
Substitute Paraprofessional Renewal Requirements
The renewal requirements include the following:
• Provide at least 20 days of service as a Substitute Paraprofessional during the school year.
• Maintain a positive record in the schools worked and be in good standing (as determined by the Office of Personnel Investigations)
For additional information, write to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit NYC Department of Education, Office of HR School Support, 65 Court Street, Room 504, Brooklyn, NY 11201.
Click for information about Substitute Teachers.