Welcome to Gifted & Talented (G&T) Admissions!
Families who submitted the Request for Testing (RFT) form by the November 13 deadline will get their test date confirmation in December. Your child tests in January—prepare with them by reviewing the practice test in the 2018 Gifted & Talented Handbook. Families who have a student entering kindergarten for the 2018-2019 school year should also know about Kindergarten Admissions and those school options.
If you just moved to New York City and are not yet enrolled in a school for the 2017-2018 school year, learn how to enroll on the New Students page.
Gifted & Talented (G&T) programs are one way that New York City supports the educational needs of exceptional students. Students entering kindergarten through third grade can participate in G&T Admissions by taking the G&T Test.
Use the resources below to learn about program options and the admissions process:
G&T resources are also available in translation:
Español | 中文 | বাংলা | Русский | العربية | اردو | Kreyòl Ayisyen | 한국어 | Français
Explore G&T programs in the NYC Gifted & Talented Handbook. You can also learn more about G&T programs at open houses throughout the school year.
There are two types of Gifted & Talented programs:
The deadline to submit the Request for Testing (RFT) was November 13. Testing will take place in January. Look for your test date confirmation letter by mid-December.
Use the practice test in the back of the NYC Gifted & Talented Handbook to prepare for the test—learn the types of questions your child may see on the test and help prepare them for the test-taking experience. You can also find out about testing in languages other than English in the Handbook.
Contact the Office of Assessment if you have questions about testing accommodations or appeals.
Elementary schools across the city were invited to participate in a pilot initiative to increase diversity within their schools for students applying this year to attend for the 2018-2019 school year. This year, the following G&T programs will have Diversity in Admissions priorities for incoming kindergarteners. Offers will still be made using standard G&T admissions priorities. The programs participating in the pilot initiative are:
• The District 1 Diversity in Admissions pilot gives a priority to Students in Temporary Housing (STH), to English Language Learners (ELL), and to students who qualify for Free or Reduced Lunch (FRL) for 67% of offers at every District 1 elementary school for kindergarten. Students who do not fall into any of these groups will get a priority for the remaining 33% of offers. The following District 1 G&T programs will be impacted by this admissions policy:
o P.S. 15 Roberto Clemente (01M015)
o P.S. 110 Florence Nightingale (01M110)
• Lower Lab School (02M077): Students who qualify for FRL will have priority for 12% of kindergarten seats.
• Brooklyn School of Inquiry (20K686): Students who qualify for FRL will have priority for 40% of kindergarten seats.
Find your zoned elementary school and other schools in your district or borough.
Learn about key dates and events this school year.
Sign up to receive email updates about G&T Admissions.
Find many of our translated resources on these pages:
Español | 中文 | বাংলা
Русский | اردو | العربية
Kreyòl Ayisyen | 한국어 | Français
Find schools that may meet your child’s accessibility needs.
If you have questions about Gifted & Talented Admissions, please call (718) 935-2009 or email ESEnrollment@schools.nyc.gov.