The Cover Design Challenge provides participants an opportunity to reflect on their lives as public school students in New York City and creatively capture their experience visually in the format of a cover design. The chosen design will be featured on the Department of Education school directories, which are distributed to thousands of students and their families across New York City.
What should I do before I submit my design?
- Review competition guidelines - make sure to follow the rules for this year's challenge.
- Submit signed Department of Education consent form - form must be included with your submission or your entry will be disqualified.
- Study our creative brief and get a better understanding of the client's task and objectives.
- Download our recommended (but optional) templates that include design specs and logos:
- Subscribe to our mailing list to stay up to speed on key deadlines and competition milestones.
How and when can I submit my design?
We are accepting designs through December 15, 2017. Only one design may be submitted per student.
- Email: Submit your design via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mail-in entries require a signed and dated mail-in submission form. Mail-in submissions must be received no later than December 15, 2017. Please mail to:
NYC Department of Education
Office of Student Enrollment
52 Chambers Street, Room 404-2
New York, NY 10007
ATTN: Cover Design Challenge
The Cover Design Competition team encourages you to draw inspiration for your cover design from your perspective as a New York City student. Below are a few questions to consider:
- Why are you proud to be a New York City student?
- How are you preparing for life after high school?
- What makes your experience as a New York City student unique and exciting?
Graphic Design Resources
- The Book Design Review
- Hack the Cover, Craig Mod
- An Archive of Book Cover Design & Designers
- American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA)
- Chermayeff & Geismar (Brand Design Firm)
- Print Magazine
- The Big Book of Design Ideas, David E. Carter, 2003
- The Poster in History, Max Gallo, 2002
- New York Times Best Book Cover of 2014
- Ellen Lupton: Bringing Graphic Design to the Classroom
- Blueprint for Teaching and Learning in Visual Arts
Congratulations to the winners of the 2017 Cover Design Competition!
More than 250 talented students sent in submissions. From these entries, fourteen finalists were selected to participate in graphic design workshops with award-winning designer and comic book illustrator Phil Jimenez.