New Students

New Students

News and Updates

If you are new to New York City, or you have a question about the enrollment process for New York City Public Schools, you've come to the right place. We serve the enrollment needs of all New York City families with children in pre-kindergarten through grade 12.

    All new students need to bring documentation with them when they enroll. For information about enrolling as a tuition-paying non-resident student, visit the Non-Resident Enrollment page.

    Elementary and Middle School

    All students in grades K – 8, including those with an Individualized Education Program (IEP) and/or who require special education services, can be enrolled in just a few steps.

    1. Find Your Zoned School
    • A zoned school is a neighborhood school for all students who live in a designated area.
    • Your zoned school is determined by your home address.
    • Find your zoned school by entering your address in the school search tool or calling 311.
    • If you don’t have a zoned school, visit a Family Welcome Center with the required documentation. A counselor will place your child at the closest school to your home that has available seats.
    2. Go to Your Zoned or Assigned School to Enroll
    3.    Non-NYC Special Education Services

    High School

    • All new students in grades 9 through 12, including those with an Individualized Education Program (IEP) and/or who require special education services, must register at a Family Welcome Center
    • An enrollment counselor will help you find a school.

    What to Bring

    • Child’s birth certificate, passport, or record of baptism which includes the date of birth, or other official document of age (See Chancellor’s Regulation A-101 for documents accepted for proof of age)
    • Immunization records
    • Latest report card/transcript (if available)
    • Individualized Education Program (IEP) and/or 504 Accommodation Plan (if applicable and available)
    • Proof of address which may be verified by any two of the following containing the address of residence:
      • A lease agreement, deed or mortgage statement for the residence
      • A residential utility bill (gas or electric) in the resident’s name issued by a utility company (e.g., National Grid or Con Edison), must be dated within the past 60 days
      • Documentation or letter on letterhead from a federal, State, or local government agency, including the IRS, the City Housing Authority, Human Resources Administration, the Administration for Children’s Services (ACS), or an ACS subcontractor or the federal Office of Refugee Settlement, indicating the resident’s name and address, must be dated within the past 60 days
      • A current property tax bill for the residence
      • A water bill for the residence dated within the past 90 days
      • Rent receipt which includes the address of the residence, must be dated within the past 60 days
      • State, city, or other government issued identification; which has not expired and includes the address of residence
      • Income tax form for the last calendar year
      • Official NYS Driver’s License or learner’s permit which has not expired
      • Official payroll documentation from an employer, such as a pay stub, a form submitted for tax withholding purposes, or payroll receipt (a letter on the employer’s letterhead is not adequate), which must include the home address and be dated within the past 60 days
      • Evidence of custody of the child, including but not limited to judicial custody orders or guardianship papers documents issued within the past 60 days with name of child and address of residence


      * If you are not the leaseholder of your residence, you must submit a Residency Affidavit.