Special Education 

Students with Disabilities

All families interested in a pre-k program — including students with disabilities — for the 2015-2016 school year should participate in the pre-k application process described in the Pre-Kindergarten Directory.

Some families may need to work with their local Committee on Special Education (CSE) or Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE) to identify an appropriate placement that meets the needs of their child. Regional CSE/CPSE offices serve families in their home districts. CSE and CPSEs are housed in the same facilities which are listed here.

Families New to Special Education

If you believe your child has a disability and may need special education services, you can send a written request for an evaluation to your local< a href="">CSE. If it is determined that your child is a preschool student with a disability, an Individualized Education Program (IEP) will be developed recommending the special education services that will meet your child’s educational needs.

To find more information about pre-k special education, contact your local CSE, or visit theSpecial Education page.

Students with an Individualized Education Program (IEP)

If your child has already been evaluated by a CSE/CPSE and currently has an Individualized Education Program (IEP), please review this section for more details about how placement for a pre-K program is determined. All families of students with IEPs are encouraged to participate in the pre-K admissions process.
  • Students with IEPs that recommend Special Education Itinerant Teacher (SEIT) services and/or Related Services can receive these services at ANY pre-K program. Families should apply to pre-K through the application process described on pages 1-3.
  • The CSE/CPSE is responsible for finding an appropriate placement for children whose IEPs recommend a Special Class or Special Class in an Integrated Setting. The standard pre-K application process does NOT include these settings. However, preschool students whose IEPs recommend a half-day Special Class or half-day Special Class in an Integrated Setting may participate in a pre-K program for the rest of the day.
  • If your child has an IEP that recommends Special Class or Special Class in an Integrated Setting for a full or half-day, you can still participate in the central application process, in the event that your child’s IEP recommendation changes for the 2015-2016 school year. Please contact your local a href="">CSEfor more information regarding your child’s recommendation.

If your child has received Early Intervention services and has an Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP), your child will need to be evaluated by your local CSE or CPSE to develop an IEP with recommended services or supports for pre-school special education. To find more information about Special Education evaluations, contact your local CSE or CPSE, or visit the Special Education page.