Young Adult Borough Centers

Young Adult Borough Centers (YABCs) are evening academic programs designed for high school students who are behind in credit, considering dropping out, or because of adult responsibilities in the daytime. Watch this video from a student's perspective of the YABC experience.

While attending a YABC, you can expect to:
  • Earn a high school diploma in the evening
  • Explore college and career options
  • Gain work experience
  • Receive targeted attendance outreach, which is strictly monitored by YABC staff

YABCs operate with Learning to Work, which can offer you:

  • Academic support
  • Counseling
  • College preparation
  • Job and career development
  • Paid internships

To learn more, look over the Additional Ways to Graduate Directory for a YABC in your borough or read a brochure in EnglishArabic, Bengali, Chinese, FrenchHaitian CreoleKorean, Russian, Spanish, or Urdu.


To be eligible, you should:

  • Be 17.5*-21 years old (Students must have completed the school year in which they turn 17. The school year begins July 1st), 
  • Have a minimum of 17 course credits
  • Be in the fifth year (or more) of high school 
  • Be enrolled or become enrolled in a NYC high school*

Steps to Enroll

To register:

  • Ask a guidance counselor at your current high school to: 
    • Complete a Y1 form with a guidance counselor
    • Complete a Y2 form with a guidance counselor 
    • Obtain a copy of your transcript
    • Obtain your immunization records.
  • Locate a YABC convenient to your home
  • Bring the forms, transcript, and immunization records to the YABC between the hours of 4PM-7PM Mondays through Thursdays.

For questions, contact a YABC. Supervisors are generally available by telephone after 1PM.


YABCs are open for student registration Mondays through Thursdays from 4pm - 8pm according to the school year calendar.


Visit this page for a list of YABC locations and contact information for each site.

Not sure if a YABC program is right for you? Contact a YABC directly and/or contact a Referral Center for High School Alternatives