Other Ways to Graduate

Find a School or Program

If you are 16-21 years old and have fallen behind on credits or have dropped out of high school, it's not too late to earn a high school diploma or high school equivalency credential.  The Department of Education offers options to get you back on track to graduate and prepare for college and career success. Read this short guide to discover the different ways you can graduate:

Arabic | Bengali | Chinese | English | French | Korean |  Haitian Creole |  Korean  |  Russian  |  Spanish  |  Urdu  


Additional Ways To Graduate

If you are 16 - 21 years old and have attended, at least, one year of high school, a Transfer School might be for you. Transfer Schools are small, academically rigorous high schools designed for students who have dropped out of high school or have fallen behind.  Review this directory for locations and contact a Transfer School to learn how to set-up an interview for admission.

If you are 17.5 - 21 years old, have attended four years of high school, and have, at least 17 credits, a Young Adult Borough Center could be for you. Young Adult Borough Centers (YABCs) offer evening classes where students earn all their high school graduation requirements. Students take classes at the YABC and graduate with a diploma from their home school.  Review this directory and the YABC page for eligibility requirements and the process for enrolling.

Students at some Transfer Schools and at all Young Adult Borough Centers have the opportunity to participate in an engagement and support component called Learning to Work which offers in-depth support services, college and career preparation and paid internships to help them succeed in high school and beyond. 


18+ Student’s Guide to a High School Equivalency Diploma*

If you are 18 and earning a high school diploma isn't possible by the time you turn 21, visit this Pathways to Graduation page to find a program to help you earn a high school equivalency diploma.  These programs (*formerly GED® Plus) help students earn a high school equivalency diploma and prepares them for college and career options. Students who are 17 years old may choose to enroll with parent/guardian permission, but final determinations are made on a case-by-case basis.

Find an Option: Contact a Referral Center

Referral Centers for High School Alternatives are one-stop guidance centers, located in every borough, where high school aged students can learn about their academic options. Students interested in high school equivalency credential programs can contact Referral Centers directly or the District 79 Office of Student Support Services at 917-521-3639.

21+ Students Guide to Options

If you are over 21 and interested in continuing your education, visit the Office of Adult and Continuing Education.

Please contact the Office of Postsecondary Readiness with questions.

    * Effective January 1, 2014, the GED® will no longer be administered in New York State. It will be replaced with the TASC® (Test Assessing Secondary Completion) which will continue to lead students to a high school equivalency diploma.