News and Updates
- Parent Information Sessions were held in early April 2014.
- The application deadline was Friday, May 2, 2014.
- Decision letters will be mailed directly to families in late July.
The Public School Choice (PSC) program gives families of students who attend an eligible lower-performing school an opportunity to request a transfer to a school in good standing starting the following school year. Priority is given to the lowest-performing and lowest income students.
The New York State Education Department (NYSED) and the New York City Department of Education (NYCDOE) determine which students can participate in the Public School Choice (PSC) Program. This year, students are eligible to request a PSC transfer if they attend a school in one of the following categories:
1. Phase Out: NYCDOE decides which schools should phase out due to low performance and/or low demand. Phase out is a process of gradual closure over a two- to three-year period.
2. Focus or Priority: NYSED identifies schools as Focus or Priority if they are among the lowest performing statewide in terms of overall performance, graduation rate, and/or other criteria.
Fifth grade students enrolled at a K-5 school, eighth grade students, and high school seniors on track to graduate in June 2014 are not eligible to apply for a transfer.
You can confirm eligibility by checking your child's school and grade here.
Last year, 8,086 families applied for transfers through the Public School Choice process. Citywide, there were 5,983 available seats, and 4,194 students received a transfer offer to a school in good standing. Review the helpful links below to learn how your child can take advantage of this opportunity.
For more information about New York State Accountability, please visit the Office of Accountability.
Making Informed Decisions
• Learn about the Application Process
• Read the Parent Information Pamphlet
• Research using the School Performance Tools
• Review answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Public School Choice
• View the PSC success story video "Making the Transition: The Martin Sanders Story".
Parent Information Sessions
Parent Information Sessions were held throughout the five boroughs to help families make informed decisions about school options through the Public School Choice Program. All of the information sessions have since passed. If you would like more information about the program, please read the Parent Information Pamphlet.