Current New York City public school students whose assigned school presents a documented hardship (such as a travel, safety, or medical hardship) may request a transfer from that school.

As part of the process formerly known as No Child Left Behind (NCLB), students in eligible schools may apply for a Public School Choice transfer. For school transfers based on documented hardships or issues, please see below.

Childcare Transfer (students in grades K-5 only)

If the distance between your child’s school and your place of employment or your childcare location creates a hardship, you can request a childcare transfer. You must provide supporting documentation from your employer and/or childcare provider affirming the childcare hardship.

Guidance Transfers

If your child is not progressing or achieving academically or socially at a school, you may request a guidance transfer. The Office of Student Enrollment may reach out to your child’s principal for supporting documentation before making a transfer decision. All guidance transfer decisions based on academic performance or chronic attendance issues must be approved by the Superintendent.

Hardship Transfers

Families are encouraged to discuss the need for transfer with a staff member at their child’s school or at a Family Welcome Center. In some cases, the family and assigned school will be asked to provide supporting documentation to a Family Welcome Center. The Office of Student Enrollment (OSE) may ask for additional information and will approve or deny a request. Once a request is approved, OSE will offer the family a transfer option. Refer to the Chancellor’s Regulation A-101 for more details, including requirements for supporting documentation.

Medical Transfers/Reasonable Accommodations

If your child n a reasonable accommodation for a disability, you may request a medical transfer. This may include a medical condition or disability that prevents the student from physically accessing the school, a parent’s disability that prevents the parent from physically accessing the school. You must provide documentation signed by a healthcare or rehabilitation professional on the medical provider’s letterhead, stating the nature of the condition for which an accommodation is requested, and the reason why the transfer is recommended. With parental consent, the Office of Student Enrollment may contact the medical provider to gain further information before making a transfer decision.

Safety Transfers

If you feel that your child is unsafe at his or her current school, you should meet with a staff member at your child's current school to discuss and address your concerns. All safety transfer requests and supporting documentation must come from schools. Families should not bring the documentation to the Family Welcome Centers. Schools must fax an occurrence report or other school documentation; a police report, docket number, or court documentation, Safety Transfer Summary of Investigation form, and a Safety Transfer Intake form, as appropriate. See page 12 of Chancellor’s Regulation A-101 and Chancellor’s Regulation A-449 for more information about safety transfer options.

Sibling Transfer (students in grades K-5 only)

If you want your child/children to move from one school to another school where a sibling currently attends and will continue to attend in the following school year, you can submit a sibling transfer request. Siblings are brothers/sisters (including half-brothers, half-sisters, stepbrothers, stepsisters, foster brothers, foster sisters) who live in the same household as the applicant and who are enrolled in grades K-5 at that school. This includes siblings who are enrolled in the co-located District 75 program at that school.

Travel Hardship Transfers (students in grades 9-12 only)

If your commute to high school is 75 minutes or longer, or otherwise inaccessible by public transportation, you can request a travel hardship transfer.