Employee Self-Service (ESS) is a tool that allows you to view or change your health benefits, personal information (such as your name, address, and phone number), and tax status online – from work or from home.
- Log into ESS using your 7-digit DOE Employee ID number (listed as the "reference number" on your pay stub).
- Your temporary ESS password consists of:
- the last two digits of your Social Security Number, plus
- the first three letters of your birth month (must be upper case), plus
- your birth day (including the leading zero, if applicable), and birth year.
So, for example, the password for an employee with a SSN of XXX-XX-XX99 and a birth date of 01/02/1900 would be 99JAN021900.
After logging in with your temporary password, you will be prompted to change it.
If you have trouble logging in, or if you need your Employee ID number, call HR Connect at (718) 935-4000.
To request a password reset, send an email with your name and Employee ID number to NYCAPSESSPASSWORD@schools.nyc.gov Your reset password will be sent to your DOE email address.
More information about how to use ESS, including step-by-step instructions for making changes to your health benefits, is available on the Key Links and Documents page.