The Office of Occupational Safety and Health (OOSH) was created on January 2, 1990 to provide the New York City Department of Education (DOE) with the safety and health expertise necessary to ensure that the New York City public school system is in compliance with federal, state, and city safety and health regulations. Under the “General Duty” clause of the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970, each employer has a legal responsibility to provide a work environment that is free from any recognizable harm that can cause or be likely to cause serious physical harm or death to employees.
In order to fulfill the Office of Occupational Safety and Health’s mission to ensure that employees of the New York City DOE work in a safe and healthy environment, the Office provides the following services:
- Education and training of department heads, managers, and employees about the provisions of Occupational Safety and Health regulations.
- Assistance to departments and facilities in complying with federal, state, and city safety and health regulations.
- Provision of technical expertise on the assessment of health and safety hazards in the workplace.
- Initiation and implementation of training programs as required by specific safety and health regulations promulgated by the New York State Department of Labor Public Employee Safety and Health (PESH).
State law requires the New York City Department of Education to provide health and safety information and training to its employees. For information, training, and forms related to specific programs, please click on the applicable program listed below:
BLOODBORNE PATHOGENS (BBP) PROGRAM
OOSH Bulletins for Employee Handouts
- The Bloodborne Pathogens Standard
- Hepatitis C
- HIV / AIDS
- Handling of Regulated Waste and Cleanup Protocol
Bloodborne Pathogens Training
- Bloodborne Pathogens Training Attendance Sheet
- Combination Right-to-Know and Bloodborne Pathogens Training Attendance Sheet
Bloodborne Pathogens Employee Identification and Notification Forms
- Hepatitis B Declination Form for Pedagogues and School Staff
- Hepatitis B Notification Form for Pedagogues and School Staff
- Employee Exposure Determination Form A for Pedagogues and School Staff
- Employee Exposure Determination Form B for Pedagogues and School Staff
Forms and Posters
- Bloodborne Pathogens Compliance CheckList
- Universal Precautions Poster
Bloodborne Pathogens Exposure Incident and Sharps Injury Reports
- Exposure Incident Package
- Sharps Injury Report Package
HAZARD COMMUNICATION & RIGHT-TO-KNOW PROGRAM
OOSH Bulletin for Employee Handouts
Hazard Communication and Right-to-Know Training Presentation
Hazard Communication & Right-to-Know Forms and Posters
Resources for Material Safety Data Sheets
SH 900 Forms - Reporting Occupational Injury and Illnessess
Laboratory Safety Program