Human Resources

Requesting Employment Verification 

Attention: Please read this entire section and follow each step before submitting your request. Requests are often time-sensitive and any error in submission can cause delays in processing.

1.  Determine Type of Verification Needed.

Broadly speaking, employment verification can be grouped into two different categories:

  • Employment verification for pension purposes
  • All other employment verification requests

The majority of requests received by the DOE fall into the latter category. For these, please continue to step number 2 immediately below.

If, however, your request pertains to a retirement system, please click here for further instruction.

2.  Complete an Employment Verification Request Form.
This form may be printed and completed by hand.

The following is provided to assist you in completing the form:

  • Fields denoted by an asterisk (*) must be completed. If you are unsure of an employee’s title, please contact HR Connect at (718) 935-4000. You will be required to provide the employee’s Social Security number in order to obtain this information.

  • Section 1 requires either the employee’s identification (ID) number or file number. Only teachers and other school-based professionals (e.g., school guidance counselors, school payroll secretaries, principals) possess a file number; this number is used frequently and is generally known to the employee. Conversely, all DOE employees possess an ID number. The employee ID number is not always known to the employee, however, it is easily obtainable as it appears on employees’ pay stub in the “Reference #” field. To learn where to locate the employee ID number, click here.

    If you have separated from the DOE and no longer have DOE employment records on file, you may obtain your file number or employee reference number by calling HR Connect at (718) 935-4000. You will be required to provide your Social Security number in order to obtain this information.

  • Section 4 requires the employee’s signature to authorize release of his/her employment information. The employee may either provide his/her signature in this section. The only way a request will be fulfilled without a signature is if the request form is emailed directly from the employee’s DOE email account. Please note, your request will be returned unfulfilled if the authorization described above is not provided.

3.  Determine the Employee’s Population.

Given the employee’s title, determine the employee’s population using the table below. Once identified, click the link in the “Employee Population” column to learn where to submit your request and how long it will take to fulfill. It is the responsibility of the individual placing the request to correctly identify which DOE unit the request should be submitted to.

Special Note Concerning Per Session Work: Some employees may work on an hourly per session basis either as their primary position (e.g., a teacher of adult education working in the evenings) or in addition to their primary position (e.g., a teacher who also works per session as an after-school coach). In either case, please see the “Per Session Staff” entry in the table below to learn where to submit your request. These submission instructions should be followed even though your title in your primary position may belong to another employee population.

Employee Population

Examples of Titles within the Population

Instructional / School-based Staff


·    Guidance Counselors

·    School Social Workers

·    School Psychologists

School Payroll Secretaries

·    Laboratory Specialists

·    Regularly Appointed  Substitute Teachers

Educational Leadership Staff


·    Assistant Principals

CFN-based Education Administrators

Per Diem (Substitute) Pedagogic Staff

Occasional Day-to-day Substitutes (O-status)

·    Long-term Day-to-day Substitutes (Z-status)

State Certified Substitutes with Pre-fixed Schedule (F-status)

Hourly Support Staff

UFT Education Paraprofessionals

·    DC-37 Family Paraprofessionals

·    School Aides

·    Supervising School Aides

Educational Facility Officers (i.e., School Guards)

·    Film Inspection Assistants

·    Health Service Aides


Administrative Staff / Assigned Pedagogic Staff


Parent Coordinators

·    SAPIS Workers

·    Interpreters

·    Nurses and Nurse Supervisors

·    Clerical Aides

·    Accountants

·    Bookkeepers

·    Attorneys

·    Staff Analysts

·    Educational Analysts

Computer Associates

·    Computer Technicians

·    Software Developers

·    Education Administrators not staffed at a CFN

·    Pedagogic Managers

·    School Supervisors

·    Teacher-assigned

·    Principal-assigned

·    Assistant Principal-assigned

Occupational & Physical Therapists

Occupational Therapists

Physical Therapists

Supervisors of Occupational & Physical Therapists

Occupational Therapist Supervisor

Physical Therapist Supervisor

School Support Services Staff

School Food Employees (e.g., School Lunch Helpers)

·    Public Schools Athletic League
Staff (e.g., Sports Coordinators)

Pupil Transport Staff

·    School Facilities Staff (e.g., Electricians, Plasterers, Carpenters)

Custodial Engineers

Custodial Engineers


Custodial Helpers

(Contractors hired by Custodial Engineers)

Custodial Cleaners

·    Handypersons

·    Stationary Engineers

·    Watchpersons

Laundry Bath Attendants

·    Custodial Firepersons

·    Coal Passers


Per Session Staff

(Any UFT or CSA instructional or supervisory employee working outside of normal school hours)

Teachers: Adult Basic Education, GED, ESL, Computer Literacy

·    Teacher Leaders

Emergency Medical Technicians

·    Computer Repair Persons

·    Band Principal Conductors