The Bilingual Pupil Services Program is open to paraprofessionals who are fluent in English and one of the following languages: Spanish, Chinese or Haitian-Creole. The program pays for 9 credits per semester at any of the participating senior colleges for an accredited program leading to a Bachelor’s degree and New York State certification in bilingual education, bilingual special education, or ESL. Participants continue to work and receive salary and benefits as UFT paraprofessionals while they are taking classes.
Candidates must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Be fluent in English and a second language (Spanish, Chinese, or Haitian-Creole) as demonstrated by performance on a written assessment and oral interview.
- Have a minimum of 90 college credits approved toward a teaching certification degree program at a participating college or university, and a 2.8 or higher grade point average (GPA).
- Be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident as required by New York State Education Department for certification.
- Be committed to pursuing a teaching career and certification in bilingual education, bilingual special education or ESL, grades K-8.
- Have mandated Child Abuse Identification and School Violence Prevention and Intervention Certificates.
- Pass the Liberal Arts & Sciences Test (LAST).
- Submit college transcripts for verification of credits and performance.
The next open house will take place on Tuesday, May 21, 2013. Please click here for more information.
If you meet the eligibility requirements, we encourage you to apply online.
Please submit all inquiries and application-related documents to the following address:
New York City Department of Education
Division of Human Resources
Bilingual Pupil Services
65 Court Street – Room 508
Brooklyn, New York 11201
For more information, visit Teach NYC Programs.
Please use the Principal's Nominating Rubric to identify potential candidates.