is an on-the-job principal development program designed collaboratively with the New York City Department of Education's Division of Academics, Performance and Support (DAPS), and the NYC Leadership Academy. This rigorous and intense 12-month program prepares aspiring school leaders for the principalship.
- A 6-week full-time (9am to 5pm, Monday through Friday) summer intensive program where apprentices gain a foundation in educational leadership, particularly with regard to personal vision, educational equity and excellence, and leadership styles
- Weekly LEAP class sessions with a designated LEAP Faculty member within apprentices’ Cluster team focused on NYC DOE School Leadership Competencies
- Job-embedded leadership responsibilities in their home school supported by a mentor principal and their LEAP Faculty member, via a formal reflection and coaching structure
- Opportunities for participants, in education forums, to meet city, state and national leaders from a variety of fields
LEAP is a unique Principal Preparation Program because it provides a framework that allows for:
- Apprentices to engage in a process where they have the opportunity to implement and monitor their understanding, abilities and skills as a school leader effecting change
- Apprentices to have a LEAP Faculty member who will provide opportunities to engage in thought-provoking protocol-based discussions that will deepen their understanding of educational leadership
- LEAP Faculty to ensure coherence and alignment of curriculum with other DOE initiatives
- A LEAP mentor principal who will work with the participant to ensure implementation of learning practices and provide specific feedback
- Apprentices to stay in their home school to facilitate a job-embedded experience while going through a rigorous principal training program
In understanding the complex structure of a school amid changing and often competing initiatives, the LEAP curriculum is designed to prepare apprentices to become innovative leaders in a dynamic learning environment. The LEAP curriculum is grounded on competency-based research and the existing realities of our city schools. The curriculum creates a pathway for apprentices to reflect on their school's curricula, pedagogical practices, assessments, structures, and how they can best foster student achievement.
The standards-based program is aligned to the NYC DOE's School Leadership Competencies and is taught over a period of 14-months.
| ||LEAP Eligibility Criteria|
Top candidates are selected from different backgrounds to participate.
| ||Application Process|
Please review the LEAP eligibility criteria to find out if you are eligible to apply for LEAP. Review key dates in relation to the application process.
Thank you for your interest in LEAP.
Accepting LEAP Applications
Deadline: January 31, 2013 by 11:59pm
To apply click on the "Application Process" link above