School guidance counselors are offered one differential:
Differential Code (Salary Schedule*)
First Differential (School Guidance Counselor)
* The code within parentheses—the salary schedule code—will be the code you see on your Certificate of Salary Differential once it is issued.
- An approved Doctorate issued by a regionally-approved college or university, OR
- An approved Master’s degree, and completion of 30 semester hours of approved college/university credits above the Bachelor’s. (These credits are in addition to the Master’s degree and may include “P” or “G” credit New York City Department of Education in-service courses.) OR
- A 60-credit Master’s degree in Guidance or Counseling OR
- A Master’s degree in Guidance or Counseling with additional coursework in Guidance and Counseling or Special Education totaling 60-graduate credits. All credits must be earned after the conferral of the Bachelor’s degree, and including those contained in the Master’s degree.
If applying additional graduate credits toward this differential, credits must have been earned after the conferral of the bachelor’s degree and may not be credits used toward or required for the master’s degree.
Excess credits in a Master’s degree MUST be confirmed by an original letter from the school Registrar and carrying the school seal. This letter must identify the exact number of credits required for the degree and the exact number of excess credits earned. These excess credits may be offered toward the additional credit requirement for C6, VIF2, VIK2, and VIH2 differentials.IMPORTANT NOTE:
If any credits were earned prior to the conferral of the master’s degree, an original letter signed by the school’s registrar and
bearing the school seal must identify the exact number of credits required for the degree and the number of excess credits. This letter must be submitted, along with your supporting transcripts, as part of your application.