Click on a link to jump down the page:
Who is eligible for a salary differential and what are the requirements?What type of academic credit qualifies for the various differentials?What type of academic credit does not qualify for the various differentials?
Who is eligible for a salary differential and what are the requirements?
All New York City teachers (including trade teachers), school psychologists, school social workers, guidance counselors, school secretaries, and laboratory specialists can apply for a salary differential.
Eligibility requirements for:
Back to top
What type of academic credit qualifies for the various differentials?
There are several ways employees may earn credits toward their differentials. Credits may include those earned:
Back to top
What type of academic credit does not qualify for the various differentials?
The following types of courses are not acceptable:
- Correspondence courses
- Continuing education courses
- Video courses
- Courses offered by business ventures or third parties (i.e., courses offered by organizations other than regionally accredited colleges and business schools registered by the New York State Education Department [NYSED])
- Online/Internet courses with the following exceptions:
- Only distance education (online) programs that are offered by accredited New York State institutions and approved by NYSED are accepted. An individual who enrolls in a program offered in New York that is not NYSED-approved may not be eligible for state or federal student financial aid and thus cannot use that program to qualify for New York State teacher certification or other professional licensure or New York City salary increments.
- The American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) is unacceptable for a salary differential.
Click to find a list of academic institutions approved by the NYSED.