Changing your password on a regular basis is a way to ensure the security of your email account. As some of you know, your Outlook password not only allows you to view your email but also grants you access to different applications. It is imperative that you not only change your password on a regular basis but to use a complex password that is difficult to guess. You will be required to change your Outlook password every 90 days. A complex password is one that is at a minimum 6 characters in a combination of alpha and numeric characters.
Changing your password
|A Note About Passwords |
- Passwords are required to be at minimum 6 characters long
- Passwords are required to be complex
- A password can contain any of the following 3 character types
- Capital letters (ABCD)
- Lower case letters (abcd)
- Numbers (1234)
- The NYC Department of Education REQUIRES that a complex password contain characters from all 3 of the character types listed above.
Central LAN users
If you log into the NYCDOE Local Area Network (LAN) in the Central or District domain using either Windows 2000 or Windows XP, then you can change your password by following the steps below:
- Simultaneously press the Ctrl, Alt and Delete keys.
- Click on the Change Password button
- Enter your old password, new password, confirm new password and click OK
Changing your password from Outlook Web Access (OWA)
Changing you password from OWA can be tricky, there are some browsers that may not work properly when changing passwords. The table below shows browsers that have been tested.
|OS ||Browser ||Can Change Password|
|Windows XP ||Internet Explorer 6.0 ||Yes|
|Windows 2000 ||Internet Explorer 6.0 ||Yes|
|Windows NT ||Internet Explorer 6.0 ||Yes|
|Windows 98 SE ||Internet Explorer 6.0 ||Yes|
|Windows 2000 ||Internet Explorer 5.5* ||Yes|
|Windows NT ||Internet Explorer 5.5* ||Yes|
|Windows 98 SE ||Internet Explorer 5.5* ||Yes|
|Mac OSX ||Safari 1.0 ||Yes|
|Mac OSX ||Netscape 7.1 ||Yes|
|Mac OSX ||Internet Explorer 5.2.3** ||No|
|Mac OS9 ||Internet Explorer 5.1.7** ||No|
|Mac OS9 ||Netscape Communicator 4.7.9*** ||Yes|
*Microsoft no longer supports IE 5.5. We recommend that all Windows users upgrade to IE 6.
**Microsoft has stopped developing and supporting Internet Explorer for the Macintosh
***Netscape for OS9 is no longer being developed. To keep up to date, please upgrade to OSX and Safari.
Instructions on changing your password from OWA
All Windows users should use Internet Explorer version 6, Mac OSX users should use Safari 1.0 or greater and Mac OS9 users should use Netscape 4.7.9.
If you are unable to change your password due to browser incompatibility you have 3 options:
- Upgrade your browser to one that has been tested to work (links provided below)
- Use a computer that has a compatable browser installed
- Call the help desk at (718) 935-5100 or if you are a district user call your Regional Technology Manager (RTM)