What is Teacher Outlook Web Access (OWA)?
Teacher Outlook is a web-based e-mail system which is available to you, anywhere that you are connected to the Internet, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Where do I locate my account information?
There are 4 ways to locate your account information:
- From a school-based LAN computer, go to the link for the DOE homepage: http://www.nycboe.net/offices/diit/phonebook/Main.asp.
- Type in your Last and First name in the appropriate boxes
- Click on Submit.
- Click on your name.
- Copy down your e-mail address.
- Your username (a.k.a. login or alias) are the characters to the left of the @ sign. (ex. if the e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org , the user name would be jsmith4)
- Ask your principal for the list of teacher aliases that was sent to the Information Technology Director (ITD) in your district, and from there to the individual schools.
- Call your RTM at your regional office.
- Call the DOE Helpdesk at 718-935-5100.
How do I logon to Teacher Outlook as a regular user, after I already have my user information?
Click on the link https://mail.nycboe.net/. You will be taken to your Outlook Web Access (OWA) login screen.
- Enter central/ followed by your Outlook name (alias) in the first space. Use all lowercase characters, and leave no spaces.
- Enter your password in the second space. If this is a new account, your initial password is your file number.
- Click OK
Why should I change my password?
Use of your file number ensures that only you can logon to TeacherOutlook. It is a NYC DOE policy to have a complex password.
What is a complex password?
A complex password is one that has multiple character sets. The NYC DOE password policy states that a password MUST be at least 8 characters long and have a combination of upper case, lower case and numeric characters.
What is the Acceptable Use Policy?
The Acceptable Use Policy is a New York City Department of Education legal document covering Internet and e-mail guidelines for all Board employees and students. This document is updated regularly, reflecting changes in policies and technological advances. You can download and read this document in its entirety at http://schools.nyc.gov/offices/diit/internet/iaup.pdf
Can I select my own username?
No. All usernames are automatically assigned, following a pre-set New York City Department of Education naming convention.
Where can I get help?
- Ask a colleague
- Contact your Regional Technology Manager
- Ask a technology staff developer
- Call the Help Desk at (718)935-5100
- Open a self support call at http://servicecenter.nycenet.edu/selfsupport/login.asp
- Go to the NYC DOE E-mail web site at Offices/
What are the Minimum Requirements to run TeacherOutlook?
- Macintosh or Windows-based computer
- Connection to the Internet
- One of the following browsers: Netscape 4.7 or higher, Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher.
- Screen display with a minimum resolution setting of 800 x 600. Preferred resolution of 1024 x 768.
I've entered my username and my file number, and receive a message Invalid User. What should I do?
- You may have mistyped your logon. Try again!
- You may not have an account.
- Contact your Regional Technology Manager or
- Open a self support call at http://magic75.nycenet.edu/SelfSupport/
- If this is not the first time you are using the Teacher Outlook e-mail, and you have changed your password, but have forgotten it, your file number will no longer work. Call your RTM or the Helpdesk at 718-935-5100 to re-set your password.
I used OWA a while ago, changed my password and now cannot remember my username or password. How can I log on?
Your principal should have received a list of teacher logons (or aliases) and e-mail addresses for all teachers in the school.
or Go to the DOE directory web page at http://www.nycboe.net/offices/diit/phonebook/Main.asp. Enter your last and first names and click search. Click on your name. Your e-mail address will be displayed. The characters to the left of the "@" are the characters of your logon (alias). Call your RTM or the Help Desk (718-935-5100) to have it reset.
How do I change my password?
The first thing that you must do, before navigating through the system, is to change your password. You will be asked to type in your old (original) password and then to enter a new password. The new password will need to be entered twice, to ensure correct spelling.
- At the opening screen, click on Options at the Shortcuts menu.
- At the next screen, scroll down until you see Change Password. Click.
- At the Internet Service Manager Screen:
- Enter district ( Note: If your account was recently created, enter central)
- Enter your login
- Enter your old password
- Enter your new password
- Enter your new password again
- Click OK to return to your Inbox
How much space is allocated to users on TeacherOutlook?
10 Megabytes (MB) of storage is allocatted to each Teacher Outlook account.
Can I request additional space allocation?
Because of the number of accounts involved and limited resources, we cannot accept requests for additional storage space.
Where can I see how much of my space is left?
You cannot currently view your usage information from Outlook Web Access.
How can I organize my e-mail by topic?
At the Inbox, mail is sorted by date, with the most recent mail on top. In order to organize by topic, simply click on the column Subject and the mail will re-sort by Subject. Clicking on the arrow next to the word Subject will toggle the sort from ascending to descending and back.
Can I import an address book from my current e-mail system into TeacherOutlook?
Teacher Outlook E-mail cannot import an address book from a different system.
Can I choose to automatically forward my e-mail from Teacher Outlook to my personal e-mail address?
Teacher Outlook E-mail cannot automatically forward e-mail to a different e-mail system. You can manually forward individual e-mails to another e-mail address in any system.
Is there a way I can block unwanted messages?
Virus and SPAM protection is in place on the DOE system. There is no way to block individual messages.
I am close to my memory allocation. I have deleted message from my mailbox, but the memory allocation has not gone down. Why?
Deleting messages is a two-step process. At your inbox, click on the Delete icon to remove the desired e-mail from the screen. Then click on the Trash icon to remove it permanently from your mailbox. You can find more tips on managing your mailbox by clicking here and then selecting Manage your Email
Can TeacherOutlook handle large messages and attachments?
Yes. Just keep in mind that each user is allocated 10 MB of storage space. Most text messages use only 1 or 2 KB of space (a very small amount). Attachments that contain graphics, video or audio may use 3-5 MB of space.
- If you send a large attachment, delete it from your Sent Items folder.
- If you receive a large attachment, download it to your system and immediately delete it from your Inbox.
How do I send an attachment?
To attach a file to an e-mail message or other Outlook Web Access item:
- Write your e-mail.
- Click the Add Attachment button (i.e., the paperclip.)
- Under Choose a file to attach, type the path to the file, or click Browse to search for the file.
- Click Attach and the file will appear under Current file attachments. Repeat steps 1 through 3 for any additional files you want to attach.
- To return to the form you were working in, click Close. The files you selected now appear in the heading, beside Attachments.
Is there an easy way to download an attachment?
To view an attachment open your e-mail message and click your underlined attachment in order to read it. The attachment will open in a new browser window.
TIP: Save files to your desktop for easy location. Then move to a floppy disk, zip disk, or other location.
I cannot open the attached file I downloaded. What should I do?
You must have the software that was used to create the file you downloaded, or which can read that particular file type, on your computer.
I tried to send an attachment and the person I sent it to never received it, what happened?
In order to prevent computer viruses and other malignant programs and to ensure the integrity of our e-mail system, all e-mail containing the following type of attachments are blocked by our anti-virus protection software:
If you need to send an attachment of the type listed above, you must rename the file by giving it a different extension such as .txt before sending it as an attachment. The recipient must rename the file back to the original name before using it.
What is the best way to exit TeacherOutlook?
Click on the Logout button, found on the lower left-hand side of your Outlook screen.
How do I send an e-mail message to multiple recipients at the same time?
- Use a semi-colon (;) to separate e-mail addresses
- Select multiple names from your personal address book or from the system list by selecting the To:, Cc:, or Bcc: check boxes
- Using a distribution list, you can send a single message to multiple recipients at the same time. To create a distribution list:
- On the main Outlook Web Access toolbar, click the arrow beside New, and then click Distribution List.
- In the new distribution list screen in the List Name text box, type the name of your new distribution list.
- To add a member of your group to your distribution list, click Find Names. Use Find Names to locate the person in your organization's address book, and then click Add recipient to...Distribution List. Repeat for each person. In the Add to Distribution list text box, you can also enter the e-mail addresses or aliases for the people you want to add.
- To add a personal contact to your distribution list, in the Add to Distribution List text box, type the contact's name, and then click Add. Repeat for each person. Instead of names, you can also enter e-mail addresses for the people you want to add.
- To add an external person to your distribution list, in the Add to Distribution List text box, type the person's e-mail address.
- Click Save and Close.
Should my username and password be saved on the computer I am using to access TeacherOutlook?
This depends on whether you are using a NYCDOE computer or your own computer at home. Once the password is saved, anyone using that computer can easily access your private e-mail account.
How do I set up Microsoft Outlook Express, Eudora or other third party email software to work with Teacher Outlook?
You cannot use a third party mail client to access Teacher Outlook. You can only access Teacher Outlook via a web browser.
Can I access the Teacher Outlook through my Palm Pilot or other PDA device?
The only supported PDAs are department issued Blackberry handheld devices.