Top 10 “To Do’s” Before
Calling the DOE Help Desk
Before calling the DOE Help Desk at 718-935-5100, take a few minutes to go through the checklist items. This may help you solve your problem and save you some time. Go ahead, try to answer the questions and you might be amazed at the results.
- Check Connections – Check all power connections to the power outlet or surge protector. Check the back of the machine for securely connected cables for the power, video, mouse, keyboard, Ethernet cables, etc. Check the Ethernet cable connection to the wall outlet.
- Power – Confirm that the computer is on.
- Reboot – Shutdown the system. Wait 30 seconds and restart.
- Valid Passwords – Confirm that you are logged into the network using a valid network account id and password.
- Software – If the problem is with a DOE application, check other applications to determine if they are working properly. Does the problem happen in just one program, or is it fairly random?
- Internet – If the problem is with the Internet, try several other web sites.
- Colleagues – Check with other users in your area to determine if they are experiencing the same problem. If so, one person should report the problem to the Help Desk.
- Operating System – If the problem appears to be with the operating system, save all data immediately.
- Error Message – If you receive an error message, write the exact message down and report it to the Help Desk.
- Last Function – Make a note of the last function or operation that you completed before the system malfunctioned.
One more for good luck!
- Detailed Information – When you call the Help Desk, please give them your building room number, phone number, first and last name, asset tag information, make, model, serial number, and a detailed description of the problem. Also provide another person to contact in case you are not in the office when the DOE investigates the problem.