Freedom of Information Law Unit

The Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) Unit handles all FOIL requests involving the Department of Education.

All FOIL requests must be made in writing. No particular form or format is required. You can submit a request in one of the following three ways:

By mail:
Records Access Officer
NYC Department of Education
52 Chambers Street, Room 308
New York, NY 10007

By email:

Through OpenRECORDS:

Chancellor's Regulation D-110 provides additional, important information about FOIL at the Department of Education. 

IMPORTANT NOTE: Requests for Student Records

If you are a current or former student, or the parent of a current student, and you are seeking your own or your child’s school-based student/education records (including transcripts), you do not need to submit a FOIL request.  Requests for school-based student/education records may be made directly to your own or your child’s current or former school, and you should contact the school directly. You can find more information about such requests at this link: