The Litigation Implementation Unit (LIU)
provides legal and project management support to the New York City Department of Education following the settlement or resolution of large class action lawsuits or other proceedings. By partnering with various program offices, the LIU works to ensure that the following supports are in place:
- Data and technology-based tools for compliance management;
- Program support for implementation of school-based activities;
- Capacity building resources to educate stakeholders regarding key pieces of mandated requirements/policies;
- Inter-office coordination to ensure communication about multi-faceted implementation components; and
- Additional targeted support as identified by legal and program teams throughout the identified settlement periods.
The LIU takes a three-pronged approach to providing support. First, the Unit will provide intensive case management and policy implementation support by holding cross-team collaborative meetings and fully engaging in hands-on program support. Second, the Unit will work with program offices to identify sustainable long-term solutions for program management. Third, the LIU will monitor implementation via data and provide troubleshooting support on an as needed basis.
Notice of Proposed Settlement of Class Action Concerning Complaints of Bullying, Verbal Abuse, and Corporal Punishment in NYC Public Schools
Amended Proposed Stipulation and Order of Settlement