As part of the mandated New York City DOE HIV/AIDS Prevention Program, high schools are required to provide Health Resource Rooms where free condoms, health information, and health referrals are made available to students in grades 9-12 by trained staff. Parents and legal guardians may exempt their children from receiving condoms.
Health Resource Room (HRR) requirements:
- Parent opt-out letters must be provided to parents of all new students upon enrollment.
- A list of all students opted-out must be available to all HRR staff. Use student ID numbers only; do not use names.
- Each school must have at least one trained male and one trained female staff.
- Health Resource Rooms must be available for at least ten periods a week for the duration of the school year.
- HRR schedule and locations must be clearly advertised for all students via the student letter and HRR posters.
Parent opt-out letter
English | Arabic | Bengali | Chinese | Haitian Creole | Korean | Russian | Spanish | Urdu
Sign up for training