New waitlist offer letters were sent out in early April, 2018. Translated versions of the letter template are available below.
العربية | বাংলা | 中文 | English | Français | Kreyòl Ayisyen | 한국어 | Русский | Español | اردو
What is DREAM – The Specialized High Schools Institute (DREAM - SHSI)?
DREAM-SHSI is an extracurricular academic program designed to help prepare eligible sixth grade students for the Specialized High Schools Admissions Test (SHSAT), which is taken in eighth grade. DREAM currently runs two programs: the Specialized High School Institute (DREAM-SHSI), which runs from February of sixth (6th) grade to the fall of eighth (8th) grade; and the Summer-Fall Intensive (INTENSIVE), which runs during the summer and fall before students take the SHSAT in eighth (8th) grade.
The next Specialized High School Institute will run from February 2018 to October 2019.
Who Can Apply to DREAM-SHSI?
If your child is eligible, we will send an application to your school in November 2017. Completed applications should be returned to the school by early December 2017. See your guidance counselor or email us at SHSI@schools.nyc.gov for more information.
To be eligible, a student must meet all of the following:
- be a current NYC resident
- be a current sixth (6th) grade student in a public school, including charters;
- meet income requirements based on federal guidelines; and
- have scored a minimum of 3.0 on the 2017 fifth (5th) grade NYS ELA and Math exams.
Eligible students who submit an application are randomly selected for participation in the DREAM program. Eligible students who submit an application and are not offered placement through the random selection process will be placed on a waitlist. Offer and waitlist letters will be sent to schools for distribution in January 2018. Offers from the waitlist are generated four times throughout the year.
To be accepted, the student/family must commit to participating for the full program, which spans parts of three school years (grades six, seven, and eight) and two summers.
DREAM SUMMER/FALL INTENSIVE
The 2018 DREAM SUMMER/FALL INTENSIVE SHSAT test-prep program will begin recruitment of eligible students in Spring 2018.
Eligibility for the SUMMER/FALL INTENSVE
Principals will receive a list of eligible students, and invitation letters, which will be distributed at their schools. If your child is eligible and receives a letter, please follow the enrollment instructions on your eligibility letter to enroll, or see your school principal for more information. For additional questions, please email SHSI@schools.nyc.gov.
To be eligible for the Intensive students must meet all of the following:
- be a current NYC resident;
- attend a NYCDOE public school, including charters;
- Be completing seventh grade and planning to enroll in eighth grade next school year;
- live, or attend school, in NYC school districts 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 16, 17, 18, 19, 23, or 32; and
- have scored a minimum score of 3.00 on the sixth (6th) grade 2017 English Language Arts (ELA), and a minimum score of 4.05 on the sixth (6th) grade 2017 Mathematics state tests.
- Score criteria is subject to change.
Where Will DREAM-SHSI and the SUMMER/FALL INTENSIVE Meet?
DREAM has 20 locations throughout the five boroughs. Students will be assigned a location based on their district of residence. Offer letters will include exact locations.