Special Education Transportation

Special Education Eligibility Requirements
State education law mandates that the City provide transportation for special education children residing in New York City to and from the school they legally attend. The type of transportation provided (yellow bus or MetroCard for public transportation) is determined by the student’s Individualized Education Program (IEP) which is developed by the Committee on Special Education. Unlike general education where eligibility is determined by a student's grade level and the distance he or she lives from school, a special education student's eligibility for transportation is determined solely by the requirements of their IEP.

The Chancellor's Regulations define the key responsibilities of everyone involved in the movement of special education school children. This includes the Office of Pupil Transportation (OPT), the Division of Special Education, the Committee on Special Education, the bus companies, drivers, attendants, schools, parents and guardians, and children.

Change of After School Drop-Off Location for Special Education Students
Special education busing is a door-to-door service. In some cases, parents and guardians may need an afternoon drop-off location that is different from their child's morning pick-up location. Parents/guardians should complete the Request to Change a Special Education Student's After School Drop-Off Location form to request that their child be dropped off in the afternoon at a location other than their home address. Regulations do not require that a student be dropped off after school at any location other than the student’s home, but OPT will make an effort to accommodate these requests provided that the following conditions apply.
  • The student must be entitled to and receiving door-to-door transportation.
  • The student may be dropped at only one alternate location within the same week.
  • The new drop location is in the child’s home borough.

To assist us in reviewing and processing your request, please be sure to:

  • Print the information clearly.
  • Enter the student ID number.
  • Sign the form (parent/guardian or other designated person responsible for the child).
  • Have the form notarized.
  • Mail or fax the request to the address listed on the form.

You may view, print or save the instructions and forms in: