Families in Three Pilot Districts Have New Online Application Option
New Kindergarten Directory Informs Parents of School Programs
The Department of Education today announced the opening of the kindergarten application process for the 2013-2014 school year. Applications may be submitted at a student’s zoned school beginning today and will be accepted through Friday, March 1, 2013. For the first time, families in Districts 1 in Manhattan, District 7 in the Bronx and District 23 in Brooklyn will be able to submit kindergarten applications online. The ‘choice’ districts are a part of the online application pilot in districts where students are not assigned to zoned schools. On those applications, parents can choose from all the elementary schools in the school district and rank their choices.
District 1 has been a choice district since 1991, and Districts 7 and 23 joined this past fall with the approval of their Community Education Councils to “unzone,” eliminating elementary school zones. Families in choice districts may also apply to kindergarten over the phone or in person at an Enrollment Office. They do not apply in person at schools.
“Kindergarten is an exciting and incredibly important time in each student’s school career. We are working to give parents more flexibility in the application process,” said NYC schools Chancellor Dennis Walcott. “The online application pilot will allow us to test how well the system works so that we can eventually offer it to families throughout the city. Developing a system of great schools requires transparency, and we want to give parents the information they need to make choices that are right for them. Parents want and need accessible, digestible data to make informed decisions for their kids – and we’re committed to providing that,” Chancellor Walcott said.
The Department of Education also unveiled newly-developed borough-based elementary school directories that include information about the school programs and faculty. The directory is another tool parents can use to navigate the kindergarten application process. The directories can be found in schools as well as at NYC.gov by searching for “Enrollment Publications.”
Important Dates and Information on the Kindergarten Admissions Process
- New York City children who turn five years old by December 31, 2013, begin kindergarten in September 2013.
- Families can apply for kindergarten through March 1. All applications received by the deadline are treated the same, according to kindergarten admissions priorities. Admission is not first come, first-served.
- Families in all districts except pilot Districts 1, 7 and 23 can apply in person at their zoned school, as they have done in the past. Families who would like to apply to multiple schools must apply in person to each school individually.
- Families residing in Districts 1 in Manhattan, 7 in the Bronx, and 23 in Brooklyn can apply in one of three ways:
- Online at www.nyc.gov/schools/kindergarten
- Over the phone by calling the Office of Student Enrollment at 718-935-2009*
- In person at an Enrollment Office:
- D1: 333 Seventh Avenue, between 28th and 29th Streets, 12th Floor (Manhattan)
- D7: 1 Fordham Plaza, between Mill River Road and Washington Avenue., 7th Floor (Bronx)
- D23: 1665 St. Mark’s Avenue, between Thomas S. Boyland Street and Rockaway Avenue (Brooklyn)
* Interpretation services are available over the phone.
- Placement offers will be made in early April. To accept an offer, families must pre-register at schools between Monday, April 8, and Friday April 26.
- Elementary School Directories can be found by searching NYC.gov for “Enrollment Publications.”
- Additional information on Kindergarten admissions can be found by searching NYC.gov for “Kindergarten Enrollment.”