Washington Irving High School has a unique mission to provide a secure, attractive, friendly environment in which students are actively engaged in attaining the skills necessary to learn through our houses and seek admission to college upon graduation.
We realize that our students come from different cultures and family backgrounds and that each student deserves and needs varied, interesting, relevant learning experiences, supportive guidance services, and career counseling in order to reach her/his greatest potential. Using an early evaluation system and House plans for additional support services, all students and their parents are actively involved in plotting realistic, attainable goals that will lead them to high school diplomas and future career objectives.
The Washington Irving mission is to produce contributing members of society through a participatory educational process dedicated to:
1. creating a standards-driven, rigorous academic and technical environment.
2. developing critical thinking skills in order to foster independent decision making.
3. establishing an environment that addresses the needs of all learners, allowing each student to reach
his or her maximum potential.
4. integrating civic and social skills in order that our students function productively in the world community.
5. supporting the concept that learning is a lifelong process.
The staff and students of Washington Irving High School expect and maintain high standards of learning, professionalism, and behavior and exhibit compassion and respect for one another. We count on the support and cooperation of our staff, our students, and their parents in realizing our school’s goals. The Staff, Administration, and I look forward to assisting you in your eductional development. We wish you a productive and rewarding school year!