- We believe every student can succeed
Our mission is to prepare students to be successful, both academically and emotionally.
2. We provide a safe, supportive and caring learning environment.
Our students are encouraged to value diversity, unity and to respect one another.
3. We seek to spark young people’s natural curiosity and creativity.
Our curriculum values active and meaningful learning through class discussions, debates, projects, portfolios, internships and field trips through out NYC.
4. Students will spend fours years with their Family Group building friendships, improving leadership skills, and interacting with different cultural groups.
Through the help and guidance of an adviser, Family Group members learn the importance of belonging to a supportive community and helping to guide one another to set and achieve goals.
5. Students’ work is not only evaluated by report cards and letter grades, but also through performance based assessment.
Students select their best class work to be placed into portfolios that they publicly present to parents, teachers, and members of the community.
6. We value the importance of social justice and community.
As a requirement for graduation, students must complete projects and engage in activities which embody the school’s principle of “making a difference to others.”
7. Visual arts and technology are important parts of our curriculum.
We have our own drama classes and our arts partner, Manhattan Theatre Club, provides playwriting and theatre-going experiences for our students.
8. College programs accepted 95 percent of our seniors.
Our students participate in the College Now program at CUNY, earning free college credits. We arrange college visits, attend college fairs and offer workshops for parents on college preparation and financial aid.
9. We value and encourage the parents and families of our students to be involved in our school.
We urge parents to join the PTA, become a part of our events, contact teachers and visit our school.
10. We have extensive after-school programs through our partnership with Citizens Advice Bureau.
These include computer training; music production; Social Action Club; chess, soccer, swimming, boys baseball, girls softball, young leaders group, student council, mock trial, school newspaper and other recreational activities. Additionally, teachers are available everyday to provide tutoring and homework assistance both at the school and at CAB.