History of the School
The Charles Alexander Dorsey school is the first African American School in Brooklyn. In 1815 Peter and Benjamin Croger of Bridge St. church started the first school in Brooklyn to educate African American children, it was called “The African School.” In 1841 the city of Brooklyn annexed the school and named it “Colored School Number One.” In 1887 “Colored School Number One” was named “Public School 67 (colored).” Records show that Booker T. Washington visited the school in 1893. In 1977 the school was renamed “ the Charles Alexander Dorsey School.” After the African American principal who headed “Colored School Number One” from 1863 to 1897. – Taken from plaque in school.