Welcome to P.S.94
The Henry Longfellow International School
for Language and Culture
Dear Current & New PS 94 Parents:
Welcome to a new school year! I want to thank you for choosing PS 94 to educate your child. As a parent myself, I want all children to be excited about the possibilities a new school year can bring. As principal of PS 94, I want all of our students to be ready for learning and engaged in their classrooms. As we send our children to their new teachers, and for many to a new school, I hope that you will join me in setting high expectations from day one: high expectations for challenging and engaging instruction, for strong and regular communication from teachers and the school, for performance from me and the entire school, and most importantly high expectations for what your child can achieve this year.
Some important information to start off the year:
· These first weeks of school we will be getting to know one another. Creating community is a large part of the beginning of a new school year. Teachers will be sending home welcome letters, supply lists, and important forms to be completed and returned. Every day your child will take home his/her Yellow Folder. Please check this each day. It will contain important announcements, homework assignments, or completed work. It is very important that your child brings this back to school each day. This will help to create a routine and continue the communication between home and school.
· You will receive a blue home emergency contact card. Please be certain that we have the correct phone numbers of relatives or family and friends who you feel are able to pick up your child. The numbers are to be written clearly on the blue home emergency contact card. Please note children will not be released to anyone not on the blue card.
· Please complete the school lunch form and submit to school as soon as possible, this will determine if your child will receive free, full or reduced lunch. In addition, our school receives Title 1 funding on the school lunch form.
· You will be receiving the Department of Education’s Discipline Code booklet as well as two contracts. Please review with your child his/her responsibilities as a student in a NYC Public School and the parent/guardian responsibilities in the contract. One contract is to be signed by both child and parent and returned to school. The other contract is to remain at home as a reference.
· Toys and personal valuables should not be brought to school. Chancellor’s regulation prohibits the use of cell phones in school. They will be confiscated and only returned to a parent/guardian.
· Attendance is important! What we do in school involves active participation, it is very important that your child attends each day. However, I do realize that sickness, family emergencies, and doctor’s appointments do occur. School policy is not to dismiss children early unless it’s an emergency. Please make your medical appointments after school hours.
· Important phone numbers and emails:
o PS 94 Main Office/Principal/Assistant Principals- (718) 435-6034
§ Principal Caban- email@example.com
§ Assistant Principal Interlandi-MInterl@schools.nyc.gov
§ Assistant Principal Alvarez- email: RAlvare4@schools.nyc.gov
§ Assistant Principal Bonilla- email: RBonilla5@schools.nyc.gov
o Guidance Counselor- Ms. Ramos-email: ERamos@schools.nyc.gov
o Family Worker (Early Childhood Grades PreK-2)- RTapiadebravo@schools.nyc.gov
o Parent Coordinator-Elaine Ayala (347)563-5374-email:EAyala6@schools.nyc.gov
o PS 94 PTA- (718) 435 2247 email: 15K094pa@schools.nyc.gov
That is it for now! I will soon write you to inform you of the progress we have made and new initiatives we are involved in. I look forward to you joining us this coming year to move your child’s achievement levels even further ahead. As always, please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as the school year gets started.