History

History of our School
Public School 216 was built in 1925 following the architectural style of the times.

The building is partially accessible to those with limited mobility. Entry to the building is fully accessible; However, once within the building - only the first floor is fully available to those with limited mobility.

Fifteen classrooms have air conditioning.



During the Great Depression of the 1930s and into the early years of World War II, the federal government supported the arts. For 11 years, between 1933 and 1943, federal tax dollars employed artists, actors, dancers, musicians, photographers, and writers to produce great works of art.

Two murals are in the PS 216 lobby.
Each are approximately 4'9" by 17".

Children In Vocational Activities

Children in Directed and Undirected Play.

Painted by Mr. Herman Simms in 1939.

Both were sponsored by the Works Project Administration and the Federal Art Project of the New Deal.

Mr. Simms returned in 1954, 1967 and in 1980 to restore the two murals.


In addition, two sculptures were commissioned:

Dina Melicov's Head of Child
In 1940 Lina Rabner's
Ballet Dancers.



In the late 1990's a P.S. 216 parent and community artist painted several wall murals to brighten the hallways.
(Copies of Master Art Works through the millennium)

Property of P.S. 216 Arturo Toscanini
Powered by NYCDOE - DIIT