David Abbott, I.A. PRINCIPAL
18-25 212 STREET, QUEENS, NY 11360Phone: 718-428-0587
School Name, Number, or Address
Class 804 – Trip to the Museum of Natural History
Quilting Cluster – Trip to the Museum of American Folk Art
Class 703 – Trip to SONY Wonder Technology Lab
6:30 PM: PTA Meeting, Honor Roll Ceremony & Raffle Drawing; Auditorium; DON’T MISS IT!
Believe in Yourself Student Assembly: Self Esteem and Peer Pressure
8:00 AM: FRANK SINATRA HS Make-Up Auditions; Students from all boroughs – Last names A-M; (35-12 35th Avenue, Astoria; 718.361.9920); please visit the school website at www.schools.nyc.gov/schoolportals/24/q501
8:00 AM: FRANK SINATRA HS Make-Up Auditions; Students from all boroughs – Last names N-Z; (35-12 35th Avenue, Astoria; 718.361.9920; website address above)
8:00 AM: LA GUARDIA HS Auditions: For Queens and Staten Island students; Last names M-Z; Single auditions – dance, drama or technical theater (100 Amsterdam Ave., Manhattan; 212.496.0700; www.laguardiahs.org.)
Save the Date
· December 9 – DOE Native Language Forum: SPECIAL EDUCATION INFO. MEETING – Presentations in Spanish, Chinese and Bengali; 6:00 PM; Queens ISC Office, 28-11 Queens Plaza North, Long Island City; Fourth floor - Rooms 405, 406, 412; Metrocards will be distributed while supplies last.
· December 10 – 2nd Parent Breakfast; Hands-on parent training on using the Renzulli Learning System, and a refresher course on using the ARIS Parent Link.
HIGH SCHOOL APPLICATIONS
Did you remember to return your child’s high school application to the guidance counselor by November 25th?
ARIS Parent Link
We are happy that a growing number of parents has been requesting the ARIS Parent Link log-in information for their children. Your child’s ARIS account will provide you with many useful and important records - attendance, transcripts, contact information, state test scores, periodic assessment results, and links to other resources. Please contact the parent coordinator by phone at 718.428.0587, or by email at email@example.com regarding changes affecting your privacy and releasing this important information.
The December monthly PTA meeting this Thursday, Dec. 3rd, at 6:30 PM, will be an exciting and celebratory event. The first quarter honor roll certificates will be distributed to students at the meeting. This will be followed by a raffle drawing for prizes displayed on Nov. 17th, the date of the Parent-Teacher conference meetings. The drawing will include a new prize – tickets to the December 14th Ranger’s game! Tickets for this prize will be available for purchase prior to the drawing. Come celebrate your child’s achievements and see if you’ve won a prize!
KIDS CAN HELP – FOOD DRIVE BEGUN!
BELL students are still collecting new, unwrapped toys, coats, textiles, and plastic bottles and aluminum cans, to help better the lives of people across town and across the globe. Please continue to donate these items, especially the toys.
They have also begun a new project – collecting packaged non-perishable food items for the City Harvest Food Drive Campaign.
· MOST NEEDED ITEMS: canned fruit and vegetables, peanut butter (in plastic jars), mac and cheese (packaged), hot and cold cereal, baby formula.
· ITEMS THAT CAN NOT BE ACCEPTED: any items in glass containers, unlabeled or dented cans, products that need to be refrigerated, homemade foods, expired products, or any open packages.
You may donate these items beginning Monday, December 3rd.
Dates to Remember
· December 13 – Talent Unlimited HS Make-up Auditions: For students from all boroughs;
8:30 AM (300 East 68th Street; Manhattan; 212.737.1530; www.talentunlimited.org)
December 19 – Live from the Met Opera in HD : The Tales of Hoffman; 1:00 PM at LIC HS, Astoria
Dec. 24-Jan. 3 – Winter Recess – SCHOOL CLOSED; Students return to school Jan. 4th, 2010.
Did You Know …
A medium popcorn and soda combo at Regal, the country’s biggest movie theater chain, is nutritionally comparable to what you’d find in three McDonald’s Quarter Pounders with 12 pats of butter! That’s 1,610 calories and three days’ worth — 60 grams — of saturated fat.
Something to think about before passing the popcorn!