IRWIN ALTMAN MIDDLE SCHOOL 172
81-14 257 Street
Floral Park, New York 11004
(718) 831-4000 FAX: (718) 831-4008
Mr. Jeffrey D. Slivko, Principal
Ms. Mary Alarcon, Assistant Principal
Mr. Myles Nash, Assistant Principal
Ms. Maritza Soto, Assistant Principal
New York Citizenship Information
Notify NYC- To Sign Up For Emergency Updates
School starts promptly at 8:00 am every morning.
Absence and lateness are reported on the high school application.
Please remember, 90% attendance is a promotional criterion.
Many thanks and our great appreciation for all of the support and assistance that the MS 172 PTA has provided for the students, families and staff this past year and every year. Special thanks to those PTA Exec Board members who will be "graduating" this year.
It’s hard to believe that the end of the school year is approaching rapidly. Please keep this calendar handy and refer to it often, as June is a very busy month. Important dates to keep in mind for all students, including several days with early dismissal / non-attendance are:
· Wednesday, June1- Living Environment Regents & Regents Common Core Algebra
Review - 2:20-3:55pm (for registered students);
· Thursday, June 2- & Regents Common Core Algebra Review - 2:20-3:55pm (for registered students) GRADE 8 PROM- 6:00-9:00PM at Leonard’s of Great Neck
· Friday, June 3 – Graduation Rehearsal -8:00am at Queens College (students go directly to Queens College/return to MS 172 by school bus- all students must have turned in a permission slip)- students remain in school until 2:20pm.
· Saturday, June 4- Super Saturday Living Environment Review- 9:00am-12:00pm –cafeteria (students must have turned in a permission slip,)
· Monday, June 6 – NYS Grade 8 Intermediate Science Test –written part- (for non-SP students)- this is a full day of school for all students
· Tuesday June 7 - National Junior Honor Society Ceremony* – 9:00am (grade 7 and 8 invited students) –this is a full day of school; students will return to class after the ceremony
· Wednesday, June 8- SENIOR TRIP to Lake Compounce (students are at MS 172 at 6:30 am and will return approximately 5:30-6:00pm) - please do NOT park in front of the school when picking up your child in the afternoon- space is reserved for busses.
· Thursday, June 9- Chancellor’s Conference Day-students do not attend
· Friday, June 10– NYS Math Field Test for Grade 8 non-SP (in-class/ this field test does not count toward students’ NYS Math score) –periods 1 and 2 & Regents Common Core Algebra Review - 2:20-3:55pm
· Tuesday, June 14 – Full Clerical day- students do not attend
· Wednesday, June 15- Regents Common Core Algebra Review - 2:20-3:55pm
(for registered students)
Grade 7 High School Articulation- 6:30 pm with Margaret Rogers, Director of Queens
Enrollment- VERY IMPORTANT for 7th grade students AND parents.
· Wednesday, June 15 These are Regents Exam Days - full day of school for all
Thursday, June 16 ALL students report to homeroom at 8:00am
· Monday, June 20- NYC Foreign Language Proficiency Test (for eligible grade 8 students)- full school day for all
· June 17 – Graduation –12:30pm sharp! - Graduates report to Colden Center at 12:00pm
· Tuesday, June 28 - Last day of school for all students; all students report at 8:00am and will be dismissed at 11:15am- report cards (and grade 8 diplomas for graduating students,) will be distributed before dismissal only
Students owing money for books will not receive their report cards or diplomas until their account is settled.
Summer school begins on Thursday, July 7 and finishes Thursday, August 11. Parents will be notified the week of May 31 if their child will need to attend summer school. Summer school will be held at MS 158. There will be a program for ELLs at MS 158 as well.
Any attendance errors on report cards must be reported to the school no later than Wednesday, June 29- changes cannot be made after this date. (Call Ms. Morrison at 718 831-4000, ext. 1330 between 8:00 and 11:00am)
We have accomplished many things this year and wish to thank our parents, students and staff for their cooperation, hard work and dedication to our school community. To all our graduates and their families, we wish you good luck in your future endeavors and are confident that you will be successful in fulfilling your dreams.
May you all enjoy a wonderful, restful summer vacation and we look forward to many new and continued successes in the coming school year.
Very truly your,
Jeffrey D. Slivko, Principal
Please note: The first day of school for the 2016-2017 school year is Thursday,September 8, 2016
All Grade 6 and 7 students have a summer reading assignment which will be distributed with report cards.
The 2016 "Back-to-School Night" and first PTA meeting for the 2016-2017 school year will take place on Thursday, September 15, starting at 6:30pm.