IRWIN ALTMAN MIDDLE SCHOOL 172
81-14 257 Street
Floral Park, New York 11004
(718) 831-4000 FAX: (718) 831-4008
Mr. Jeffrey D. Slivko, Principal
Mr. Thomas Scarpinato, Assistant Principal
Ms. Maureen Rodriguez, Assistant Principal
Ms. Mary Alarcon, Assistant Principal
Mr. Myles Nash - Interim Acting Assistant Principal
New York Citizenship Information
Notify NYC- To Sign Up For Emergency Updates
Understanding the New IEP Form: Information for Families
School starts promptly at 8:00am every morning.
Absence and lateness are reported on the high school application.
Please remember, 90% attendance is a promotional criterion.
With great pleasure, I would like to announce that Ms. Mary Alarcon has joined Irwin Altman MS 172 as Assistant Principal for the 6th grade. Please review the May calendar and Upcoming Events with your children and note all information.
- All NYS ELA and Math Testing and make-ups have been completed. Schools will receive notification in early June for students who MET PROMOTIONAL CRITERIA and DID NOT MEET PROMOTIONAL CRITERIA for these tests toward making multiple criteria promotional decisions, (which will include test scores, classwork, class tests grades and marking period grades.) Students who are failing ELA, Math, SS or Science and/or receive a DID NOT MEET PROMOTIONAL CRITERIA on the NYS ELA/Math Tests will need a portfolio of standards-based performance work from this past school year (from their classes) to be considered for promotion. Please see your child's Assistant Principal if you have any questions in this matter.
- Grade 8 non-Sp students will be taking the NYS Intermediate Science Test (Performance) on May 22 and the written portion on June 1. After school AIS classes for grade 8 Science will begin on Wednesday, May 6 and will continue on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday afternoons from 2:25-3:55 pm through May 29.
- Grade 8 SP students will be taking the Regents Living Environment Test on Tuesday, June 16 and the Regents Common Core Algebra Test on Wednesday, June 17, after school and Saturday review classes for Living Environment Science and after school review classes for Common Core Algebra will take place in May and early June, starting May 6. A separate letter was sent home about these classes.
- Eligible Grade 8 students (SP and non-SP) will be taking the NYC Foreign Language Proficiency Exam on Monday, June 22.
A yearly favorite-Fitness Night will take place on Tuesday, May 12 at 6:30pm. This year's special sports focus will be Volleyball, so bring your sneakers and MS 172 spirit and join in an evening of fun and fitness.
Have you bought your tickets for this year's MS 172 show -Aladdin Jr. Ms. Mintzes, Mr. Mardirossian and an amazing cast of Altman students are preparing a production of this musical which will rival the Broadway run that is taking place now. Tickets are $7.00 in advance and $10 at the door. (Get your tickets early before we sell out - and save some money.)
Our Spring Arts Festival will take place on Tuesday, May 26 at 7pm (doors open at 6:30 for the Art Show.) Our Art, Music and Chorus teachers and their students will be presenting
an evening of cultural experiences that will highlight our students' talents. Tickets are currently on sale for $5.00.
The May PTA meeting will be held on Wednesday, May 20 at 7:00pm. Elections will take place at this meeting. Please plan to be there and have your voice heard.
A few housekeeping notes: With the warm weather approaching, students are allowed to carry and use water bottles in the classroom in accordance with their teachers' guidelines. For safety reasons water bottles may not be used during passing from one class to another. Also - please review the dress code (in the Parent/Student handbook) and assist your children in making appropriate clothing choices for school. We must also request that students NOT wear open-toe shoes or flip-flops as these present a hazard in crowded hallways. Additionally, with concern for students who have asthma or allergies, body sprays are not allowed to be used in classrooms. Thank you for your cooperation in these matters.
Please help us keep your children safe. If you drop your child off in the morning, you must do so only on the school side of the street. Students crossing mid-block are in extreme danger.) Do not make a U-turn on the school block-if the amount of traffic is a hindrance to you, please drop your child off on 81st or 82nd Avenues or on 256 Street. And, as has been our practice for 10 years-there is no car traffic on 257th street from 2:30-3:15pm due to our large number of busses. Also-do not double park or park in crosswalks on 81st avenue and obey the STOP signs. And finally: DRIVE SLOWLY when driving anywhere near the school.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Sincerely, Jeffrey D. Slivko, Principal
Measures of Student Learning subject tests will take place as follows:
Tuesday, May 5:ELA
Wednesday, May 6: Social Studies
Thursday, May 7: Math
Friday, May 8: Science
While these tests will not be used in grading students, we encourage all of our students to do their very best as the tests measure growth in each of the above subjects since the fall tests.
Tuesday, May 26 for the 2015 Spring Arts Festival
Upcoming TEST DATES:
· NYSESLAT (for ESL students) April -May (Speaking, Reading,
Writing & Listening on various dates)
· Grade 8 (non-SP) NYS Intermediate Science Test (Performance)- May 22
· Grade 8 (non-SP) NYS Intermediate Science Test (Written)- June 1
· NYS Living Environment Examination (grade 8 SP)–June 16 (12:15pm)
· NYS Regents Common Core Algebra Examination (grade 8 SP)- June 17 (12:15pm)
· NYC Foreign Language Proficiency Exam- June 22
SUMMER READING AND ASSIGNMENTS
INCOMMING 6TH GRADE STUDENTS
CHARACTERMAP.docx 6TH GRADE CHARACTER MAP
FriendlyLetterFormatGr6.doc 6TH GRADE FRIENDLY LETTER FORMAT
SummerReadingRUBRICgr6.doc 6TH GRADE SUMMER READING RUBRIC
summer_reading_assignment_gr_61NEW.doc 6TH GRADE READING SUMMER ASSIGNMENT
THE DEBATE TEAM WINNERS!
MS172 Hoodies are back! Check below to print out this form
and order your hoodie today - Hoodie
Keep reading books from our MYON Library
http://www.myON.com School name: 26Q172
use your individual Username and Password
Ms. Borger, MS 172 Library
NEW OPPORTUNITY!!! Read E-books online FREE!
A MESSAGE FROM MS. BORGER, MS172 LIBRARIAN
CHECK THIS OUT!!! Our students can access our collection of e-books
(electronic books) online. Here’s how to do it:
1. Go this address online: http://wbb10285.follettshelf.com
2. On the FollettShelf screen login
USERNAME: MS172 PASSWORD: student
3. This should bring you to our e-book collection as a GUEST.
4. Search the catalog for a book you’d like to read online.
Open the book, you can’t download it, just read it online and
log out when you are done.
5. Books with the green infinity symbol are unlimited and can be read by many
users at the same time. All other books are just single copies and can only be read by
one person at a time.
6. Recommended UNLIMITED TITLES for each grade
6th grade Dwayne Wade by Michael Sandler Reading Level 5.5
7th grade Abraham Lincoln by BreAnn Rusch R.L. 5.9
8th grade Irena Sendler bringing life to children of the Holocaust R.L. 8.7
M.S. 172 P.T.A.
2014-2015 Executive Board
Barbara Dorcean and Tarvinder Thind (Bobby)
First V.P. of Fundraising and Volunteering:
Corresponding Secretary:Christina Cruz
School hours for all students are
8:00AM - 2:20PM - Monday through Friday