Working Papers

Employment Certification (Working Papers)

All minors, individuals under 18 years of age, including college students, high school graduates, married students, and volunteer workers, must obtain an employment certificate if they intend to work.  

Students must fill out an application (see below) and submit the application to the designated person in high school or middle school that they attend. The school will then issue an employment certificate to the student. 

The District Family Advocates can also provide information pertaining to employment certification and will provide working papers in instances where a school does not (e.g., when schools are closed, out-of-state students).

Documentation for working papers/employment include:

- an application with Section 1 completed and signed by parent

- a birth certificate as evidence of age

- an original doctor's note (stating the minor is "fit for employment") or an original certificate of physical fitness completed by a physician

- schooling record (Private school and non-NYC public school students including out-of-state students are to have a completed Schooling Record section of the application along with a letter from school or recent report card.  Registered NYC public school students are to have their school ID.)

- signature of minor in presence of issuing official

Application for Employment--Working Papers for minors ages 14 to 17 (Form AT-17)

Minors who are 14 years of age or over are not required to have employment certificates to work as caddies, babysitters or to engage in casual employment such as yard work and household chores in and about a residence or on the premises of a non-profit, non-commercial organization, not involving the use of power driven machinery. 

Child Performer Permits are issued by the NYS Department of Labor (518-457-1942).  Child models are recognized as child performers. 

School officials can visit the Principals' Portal for instructions on ordering working papers.