Step Two: Apply Online
Update: As of Friday, November 8, 2013, our Online Teacher Application has closed for the 2013-14 school year. Learn more.
Online Teacher Application
The Online Teacher Application is required for all teaching candidates seeking positions in New York City public schools, including any opportunities that may arise during the remainder of the current school year.
Although you will be able to save and continue your application another time, we encourage you to prepare some materials that you will need in advance:
- Details regarding your teaching and professional experience
- Supporting documentation to demonstrate you meet the certification requirements to teach in New York State
- Academic history including GPA
- Three (3) professional references
- Current resume
- Well thought out responses to four writing prompts
Don’t rush through the application – it’s your first chance to make a great impression on our recruiters and the school principals who will invite you to interview. We receive thousands of applications each year, so making sure your resume is comprehensive and well-formatted, and that your essays are well-written, helps you stand out from the crowd.
For more information on how to complete the application, please review our Teacher Application Guide.
Please note: The Online Teacher Application is for full-time teaching positions only. If you are interested in applying for other positions such as substitutes and pupil personnel services, please visit the Pupil Personnel & Substitutes page. Additionally, if you have been accepted into the New York City Teaching Fellows program, please await specific instructions from the NYCTF office before starting an online teacher application.
With the 2013-14 school year in full swing, our Online Teacher Application is closed as of Friday, November 8, 2013. We expect to re-open the application for the 2014-15 school year in early 2014.
To ensure you receive all communication around next year's application cycle, click on the "Express Interest" button on our homepage and enter your information. We will contact you as soon as any updates are available. Thank you as always for your interest in teaching in our schools!
What Happens Next
After you complete and submit your application, our recruitment team will evaluate it to make sure you meet the minimum criteria and then assess the quality of the application. Within two weeks of your submission, you’ll hear back from us with one of the following updates.
- We may ask for more information if your application was incomplete. Most often, we ask for more information about your teacher certification.
- We will let you know if you are eligible for job-search support. If you are, you will be admitted into the New Teacher Finder and be able to take advantage of all of the TRQ resources available to members.
- In addition to becoming a member of the New Teacher Finder, some of you will be invited to interview for TeachNYC Select Recruits, our program for outstanding candidates who show potential to be great teachers, leaders, and change agents in our schools. TeachNYC Select Recruits are most often certified in shortage subject areas.
- In some cases, the NYCDOE will not be able to assist you in your job search, in which case we’ll let you know the reason, which can include not being eligible to teach in New York City, not having a valid teaching certificate, or failing our application quality screening process.
Current and Former NYC Employees
If you are working for our school system currently or in the past, you should note the following.
- If you are a current NYCDOE teacher and are seeking a transfer, you should not complete the new teacher application. Instead, you need to use the Open Market Hiring System, which can be accessed from the Teacher Hiring Support Center portal.
- If you are a current NYCDOE employee working in another title (paraprofessional, parent coordinator, etc.) who now wants to become a teacher, you must complete the new teacher appplication.
- If you are a former New York City public teacher seeking to return, you also must complete the new teacher application.