Step Two: Apply Online
Online Teacher Application
The Online Teacher Application is required for all teaching candidates seeking positions in New York City public schools, including any opportunities that may arise during the remainder of the current school year. Please note that all candidates who applied for positions during the 2013-14 school year must reapply to be considered for any 2014-15 openings.
Although you will be able to save and continue your application another time, we encourage you to prepare some materials that you will need in advance:
- Details regarding your teaching and professional experience
- Supporting documentation to demonstrate you meet the certification requirements to teach in New York State
- Academic history including GPA
- Professional references (at least one, but no more than three)
- Current resume
- Well thought out responses to four writing prompts
Don’t rush through the application – it’s your first chance to make a great impression on our recruiters and the school principals who will invite you to interview. We receive thousands of applications each year, so making sure your resume is comprehensive and well-formatted, and that your essays are well-written, helps you stand out from the crowd.
For more information on how to complete the application, please review our Teacher Application Guide.
Please note: The Online Teacher Application is for full-time teaching positions only. If you are interested in applying for other positions such as substitutes and pupil personnel services, please visit the Pupil Personnel & Substitutes page. Additionally, if you have been accepted into the New York City Teaching Fellows program, please await specific instructions from the NYCTF office before starting an online teacher application.
For the 2014-15 hiring season, the Office of Teacher Recruitment and Quality (TRQ) has established the following deadlines:
- Monday, March 17 - Candidates who apply by this first priority deadline secure early consideration to the New Teacher Finder (NTF) database, and position themselves for access to the full TeachNYC Academy webinar series (exclusive for NTF members) as well as possible enhanced support such as selection to the TeachNYC Select Recruits program.
- Friday, April 25 - Final deadline for consideration to the TeachNYC Select Recruits program. Candidates who apply by this deadline may also be considered for a wide range of job search and school networking events.
- Monday, June 30 - Final priority deadline of the season, and the last chance for candidates who wish to receive our standard review process, New Teacher Finder consideration and related support from the Office of Teacher Recruitment and Quality.
PLEASE NOTE: Applications received after the June 30 deadline will only be reviewed on an as-needed basis, and we cannot guarantee additional support for candidates who apply after this point.
While our final priority application deadline has passed, the online teacher application remains open for candidates in the following subject areas, based on the hiring needs of our schools.
- All Science subjects
- English as a Second Language
- Bilingual Education
- Early Childhood Education
If you are certified in any of these subject areas, and are interested in teaching in our schools this upcoming school year, we encourage you to complete and submit your online teacher application as soon as possible.
If you are interested in teaching in New York City public schools in 2015 (2015-16 school year), please DO NOT complete the online application at this moment. The application is currently available only for teachers who:
- Have found a position with a NYC public school for this upcoming school year and need to complete the employment application requirement.
- Are certified in the subjects listed above and who are interested in teaching this upcoming school year.
The Online Teacher Application for the 2015-16 school year will be available in early 2015.
What Happens Next
After you complete and submit your application, our recruitment team will evaluate it to make sure you meet the minimum criteria and then assess the quality of the application. Within two weeks of your submission, you’ll hear back from us with one of the following updates.
- We may ask for more information if your application was incomplete. Most often, we ask for more information about your teacher certification.
- We will let you know if you are eligible for job-search support. If you are, you will be admitted into the New Teacher Finder and be able to take advantage of all of the TRQ resources available to members.
- In addition to becoming a member of the New Teacher Finder, some of you will be invited to interview for TeachNYC Select Recruits, our program for outstanding candidates who show potential to be great teachers, leaders, and change agents in our schools. TeachNYC Select Recruits are most often certified in shortage subject areas.
- In some cases, the NYCDOE will not be able to assist you in your job search, in which case we’ll let you know the reason, which can include not being eligible to teach in New York City, not having a valid teaching certificate, or failing our application quality screening process.
Current and Former NYC Employees
If you are working for our school system currently or have in the past, you should note the following:
- If you are a current NYCDOE teacher and are seeking a transfer, you should not complete the new teacher application. Instead, you need to use the Open Market Hiring System, which can be accessed from the Teacher Hiring Support Center portal.
- If you are a current NYCDOE employee working in another title (paraprofessional, parent coordinator, etc.) who now wants to become a teacher, you must complete a new Online Teacher Appplication.
- If you are a former New York City public teacher seeking to return, you also must complete a new Online Teacher Application.