Step Two: Apply Online
Online Teacher Application
The Online Teacher Application for the 2013-2014 school year is now open! This application is required for 2013-2014 school year teaching positions as well as any opportunities that may arise during the remainder of the current school year.
Although you will be able to save and continue your application another time, we encourage you to prepare some materials that you will need in advance:
- Details regarding your teaching and professional experience
- Supporting documentation to demonstrate you meet the certification requirements to teach in NY
- Academic history including GPA
- Three (3) professional references
- Current resume
- Well thought out responses to four writing prompts
Don’t rush through the application – it’s your first chance to make a great impression on our recruiters and the school principals who will invite you to interview. We receive thousands of applications each year, so making sure your resume is comprehensive and well-formatted, and that your essays are well-written, helps you stand out from the crowd.
For more information on how to complete the application, please review our Teacher Application Guide.
If you are ready to apply, click the "Apply Now" button below.
Please note: The application above is for full-time teaching positions only. If you are interested in applying for other positions such as substitutes and pupil personnel services, please visit the Pupil Personnel & Substitutes page. Additionally, if you have been accepted into the New York City Teaching Fellows program, please await specific instructions from the NYCTF office before starting an online teacher application.
The final deadline for completing the 2013-2014 Online Teacher Application is Friday, June 28 at 11:59 p.m. Applications received after June 28 are not guaranteed to be considered for the New Teacher Finder and other supports from the Office of Teacher Recruitment and Quality and will be reviewed as needed based on school staffing needs.
What Happens Next
After you complete and submit your application, our recruitment team evaluates it to make sure you meet the minimum criteria and then assesses the quality of the application. Within two weeks after you submit your application, you’ll hear back from us with one of the following updates.
- We may ask for more information if your application was incomplete. Most often, we ask for more information about your teacher certification.
- We will let you know if you are eligible for job-search support. If you are, you will be admitted into the New Teacher Finder and be able to take advantage of all the Office of Teacher Recruitment and Quality resources available to members.
- In addition to becoming a member of the New Teacher Finder, some of you will be invited to interview for TeachNYC Select Recruits, our program for outstanding candidates who show potential to be great teachers, leaders, and change agents in our schools. TeachNYC Select Recruits are most often certified in shortage subject areas.
- In some cases, the Department of Education will not be able to assist you in your job search, in which case we’ll let you know the reason, which can include not being eligible to teach in New York City, not having a valid teaching certificate, or failing our application quality screening process.
Current and Former NYC Employees
If you are working for our school system currently or in the past, you should note the following.
- If you are a current New York City Department of Education teacher and are seeking a transfer, you should not complete the new teacher application. You need to use the Open Market Hiring System. You can access that from the Teacher Hiring Support Center portal.
- If you are a current New York City Department of Education employee working in another title (paraprofessional, parent coordinator, etc.) who now wants to become a teacher, you must complete the new teacher appplication.
- If you are a former New York City public teacher seeking to return, you also must complete the new teacher application.