Getting Certified

All New York City public school teachers must be certified by the New York State Education Department (NYSED). You can obtain certification in one of several ways, including through alternative certification routes and reciprocity agreements.

New York State Certification

There are several types of New York State teaching certificates. Learn more about each type and which certificate you should pursue based on where you are in your career.

Interstate Reciprocity and International Applicants

Individuals certified in another state or country, and who are eligible to work in the United States, are encouraged to consider opportunities in the New York City public schools. Learn more about the steps to take to be certified in New York State based on your current certificate.

Alternative Routes to Certification

These routes to certification are designed for career changers and recent college graduates who have subject matter expertise but no formal education coursework or training.

Career and Technical Education

If you have industry experience in career and technical subjects, you can pursue a specialized Career and Technical Education (CTE) certification.