Getting Certified

New York State Certification

There are different types of New York State teaching certificates. More information on specific requirements for each certificate and for each subject and grade-level can be found in the New York State Education Department (NYSED) certification requirements database.

Note for Current New York State Education Students

Education students who do not yet have a certificate but are currently enrolled in a New York State teacher preparation program must provide evidence that they are in good standing and on target to receive one of these certificates by September 2013 when they submit an application. Visit Applying and Getting Hired for more detailed information.

The Initial Certificate

The Initial Certificate is the entry-level teaching certificate issued to individuals who have completed a teacher preparation program or equivalent coursework and experience. The Initial Certificate is valid for five years.

Professional Certificate

The Professional Certificate is the advanced-level certificate for classroom teachers and requires a master’s degree, three years of teaching experience, and ongoing professional development.

Internship Certificate

The Internship Certificate is issued to individuals who have completed at least 50% of an approved graduate program leading to an Initial Certificate, have been officially recommended by their university or college, and have an offer of employment from a principal. In addition, the New York City Department of Education (NYCDOE) requires that teachers with the Internship Certificate pass the Revised Content Specialty Test (CST) for the subject they will be teaching before they begin working. This certificate is valid for two years.

Conditional Initial Certificate (based on Reciprocity)

Applicants who are certified or licensed in another state or country and are interested in teaching in New York City can apply for a Conditional Initial Certificate with NYSED.

Transitional A Certificate

Transitional A Certificates are issued to individuals in specific career and technical education titles who do not meet the requirements for an Initial Certificate, but who possess the requisite occupational experience.

Transitional B Certificate

Transitional B Certificates are issued to participants enrolled in alternative certification programs such as the New York City Teaching Fellows. Individuals cannot apply directly to the state for a Transitional B Certificate.

Provisional and Permanent Certificates

We also accept unexpired New York State Provisional or Permanent certification from teacher applicants.