The Student Teaching Initiative is a collaboration between local colleges and universities as well as other New York State and out-of-state schools of education. The program provides currently enrolled students the opportunity to have a fulfilling urban experience as a student teacher, offering support and guidance through the final stages of the traditional teacher certification process.
Student teachers in our public schools gain practical hands-on experience through classroom activities and professional development. With the guidance of an experienced teacher mentor, student teachers will improve their instructional strategies, assessment practices, and classroom management skills.
The Student Teaching Initiative provides the following resources:
- The opportunity to work with a diverse student population and experienced staff.
- Student teacher placement opportunities at almost 1,600 elementary, middle, and secondary schools.
- Guidance and support through the recruitment and hiring process.
- Networking events with principals and recruitment staff.
Our Student Teaching Handbook includes information for student teachers, teachers, and principals.
NYC Department of Education Online Student Teacher Registration
Thank you for making the choice to complete your student teaching experience in a New York City public school. We are committed to providing the best possible education for all of our students and hope that your training experience will support your growth as a future teacher.
All student teachers who are completing a student teaching placement must register and create a profile prior to the start of their assignment. (Registration is not required for field observation.)
- First time users must create a student teacher profile by clicking on the "Register Now!" button below.
- You may enter your school placement information at this time, or you can add this information at a later time by logging in using the user name and password you created.
- If you previously completed the registration form and need to update your information, please log in using the user name (permanent email) and password you created.
- If you have problems when entering your user name or password, please call the Teacher Support Network at 1-877-DO-TEACH (1-877-368-3224)
- Registration should take only about 5 minutes.
If you have more questions about becoming a teacher in New York City, please contact email@example.com.
Thank you for student teaching in our schools!