"[Select Recruits] was instrumental in my job search. If it weren’t for this program, I wouldn't have a job today." –Select Recruits Alumna
Update: Thank you for your interest in the TeachNYC Select Recruits program for the 2013-14 school year. Please be advised that our 2013-14 candidate consideration for the TeachNYC Select Recruits program has closed.
Applicants interested in teaching in New York City public schools for the upcoming school year are still encouraged to complete and submit our Online Teacher Application, but are no longer guaranteed to be considered for the New Teacher Finder and other supports from the Office of Teacher Recruitment and Quality.
What is the TeachNYC Select Recruits Program?
The Office of Teacher Recruitment and Quality (TRQ) selects top tier prospective teachers in shortage subject areas for a job search support program called TeachNYC Select Recruits. Select Recruits are a diverse and talented mix of candidates who, through the Online Teacher Application and a rigorous interview process, have shown great potential for success in the classroom, including the capacity to increase student achievement and serve as effective leaders and contributors in their school community. Some TeachNYC Select Recruits have prior teaching experience outside of the NYC Department of Education while others are recent college graduates with a record of excellence.
TeachNYC Select Recruits are significantly more likely to be hired in our schools than other applicants. Of those TeachNYC Select Recruits who remained active in the pool, 89% were hired for the 2012-2013 school year. In 2012, 368 TeachNYC Select Recruits began teaching primarily in high-need New York City public schools.
The TeachNYC Select Recruits cohort has grown over the last several years. Projections for the Select Recruits cohort size and subject areas change annually based on the needs of the school system. In recent years, ESL, special education, and science have been shortage area subjects, and prospective teachers in these areas have been invited to interview.
What are the benefits of being a TeachNYC Select Recruit?
There are many benefits of interviewing and being selected for Select Recruits, including:
- Recruiter access: TeachNYC Select Recruits are paired with one of our Teacher Recruitment Managers, who directly refers them to school vacancies and provides additional personalized recruitment support.
- Events: TeachNYC Select Recruits are guaranteed admission to New York City Department of Education sponsored recruitment events throughout the spring and summer to meet and network with principals with anticipated teacher vacancies at their school.
- New Teacher Finder: TeachNYC Select Recruits are promoted in our online database for principals seeking teacher applicants, with flags that identify them as members of the program.
- Expedited onboarding: TeachNYC Select Recruits receive support with certification and other New York City Department of Education employment onboarding issues as needed.
What are the eligibility requirements for TeachNYC Select Recruits?
- Possess or be eligible for New York State Initial, Conditional Initial (reciprocity), or Professional Certificate. (Teachers with Internship or Transitional B Certificates are NOT eligible for Select Recruits.)
- Submit an excellent Online Teacher Application that meets the criteria for admission into the New Teacher Finder. Please note that not all applicants are admitted to the New Teacher Finder, and not all New Teacher Finder members are invited to interview for TeachNYC Select Recruits.
- Hold a certification in an eligible shortage subject area.
- Be flexible with job search preferences; have interest in teaching in areas of need.
How can I apply?
There is no separate application for TeachNYC Select Recruits. To be considered, prospective teachers should have completed a high-quality Online Teacher Application by our established TeachNYC Select Recruits priority deadline. A teacher’s certification area, along with the quality of his or her resume and essays, will determine whether he or she will be invited to interview for TeachNYC Select Recruits.
What do Select Recruit Alums say about the program?
- "I appreciated the individualized attention that I received as a member of [Select Recruits]. I felt supported."
- "My experience was very helpful and my entire experience very professional and reassuring."
- "I truly enjoyed the program. I benefitted from each webinar and fair. They were all informative. The skill of each recruiter is absolutely priceless!"
- "I feel that [Select Recruits] gave me a distinct edge. I was hired at the Bronx job fair, which I was invited to as a member of [Select Recruits], and my success there was based on a strong connection made with the hiring principal."
- "Without the support of the [Select Recruits] team, it would have taken me much longer to research and locate schools. With help from my recruiter the process was simplified. That doesn't mean I didn't have to work to find a job, it just means that I could put all my effort into my interviews and lessons."
For questions about the TeachNYC Select Recruits program, please call 718-935-4080.